Changing DPFE Sensor? How to get it out?

johnwartjr

I have a code that points to the EGR sensor.

I have the wipers off, cowl cover out, and still can't find a good way to get to the EGR sensor to put the new one in.

It's mounted to the rear of the engine, and the firewall kinda blocks access to the mounting hardware.

What have I overlooked? 95 SC Auto, stock

Last edited:
use a 1/4 drive and 10mm socket and reach your hand back there to get the bolts out. as for the nut that connects it to the tube, might be easier to get that from the bottom from the header. I have never taken that nut off so dont know how difficult that would be.

I don't believe it has a nut, it has 2 rubber tubes on it and a connector.

Sorry, i thought you were asking about the EGR valve. There is a a DPFE sensor for the EGR with 2 black hoses on it and cant remember where to take that off from as mine is removed.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for straightening that out. If anyone knows how I can get this sensor out to replace it, I'd appreciate it.

Anything? If I can't get to the DPFE this afternoon, I'm gonna have to put the car back together and drive it for a few more days with the CEL turned on, as I have to get the car on the road by tomorrow.

Got the sensor out.

While I was removing the hoses, I found what I am guessing is causing my CEL to come off - one of the hoses is broken!

Well, the hose isn't broken, the metal 'barb' that it slides over is broken.

I don't know where I should start with this. Where does the broken piece normally go on the car? What do I need to do to repair this? I can't figure out *where* it was attached before.

broken_hose.jpg

Yep attached to the EGR tube. theres like an orifice (squished senstion?) in the tube and one hose attaches to either side of that orifice.

Or least something like that :)

egr tube is a pain to get out..maybe you can try tapping it and adding a barbed fitting..then reconnect hose to that

The two hoses from the DPFE sensor attach to two ports on the EGR Tube.

Attachments

• HPIM0941r.jpg
    HPIM0941r.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 940
Looking at that pic, it appears the EGR tube is in a pretty tight spot. Where exactly is it?

Nothing is easy on these cars, is it? :)

Before I try to order an EGR tube from Ford, are there alternatives? Is there any reason to consider removing the EGR? Indiana doesn't do emissions testing. Or would that be harder than just replacing it?

The only reason I ask, is the car has had this code set since late 2009, and it's probably been broken that long, so in some ways, I'm tempted to just let it be!

It runs between the right exhaust header/manifold to the EGR valve, behind the cylinder head. You're not going to be able to buy the part new, it's obsolete.

Back