Bypassing / Eliminating EGR - is it possible?

johnwartjr

Is it possible to bypass or eliminate the EGR in the SC?

Does anyone have a step by step guide to see what I'm up against?

My EGR tube needs replaced, so I figure before I go after one of those, perhaps I should look at bypassing it or removing it.

Yes......sure you can. If you state inspection sniffs the tailpipe then I think you won't pass an emmissions test. Some SC's never came with an EGR system, I believe it was 1990 auto models. I deleted the EGR on my '94 and I don't run catalytic converters either.

Indiana only tests emissions in a couple counties bordering the IN/KY border, neither of which I live in :)

So, I am content to remove the EGR.

Can you give me a few details? Did you just unhook the sensors? Get a custom chip? What if anything needs to be removed and plugged?

Thanks!

If you decide to go thru with taking the EGR out, I have n EGR blockoff plate for your blower that I don't need. You can have it.

I've seen a few posts mentioning removeing the EGR when getting a tune done. Is a tune required when deleting it?
Adam

After you remove the whole EGR system, you will need to have a chip installed with the EGR system deactivated so that you do not get the check engine light. I did this with mine. You need just the block off plate for the back of the s/c plenum and a seal the hole on the exhaust header.

The thread size on the exhaust manifold is the same as an o2 sensor, or was on my 94. Use a o2 plug or have it welded.

Zack

Good info. Thanks!

Where do I get the chip? Is the one in my car now socketed so I can remove it and install a replacement, or would I need to send my entire PCM off?

Where do I acquire the block off plate? Is there a supplier, or do I need to fabricate my own? I am having trouble visualizing where the SC plenum is, and where I'd install the plate, but hopefully I can figure it out.

If I need to send the entire computer off, I'd probably buy one from a parted out car to minimize downtime.

FWIW, I have been doing component level circuit board work for years, so if it just needs a socket installed, I'm capable.

Good info. Thanks!

Where do I get the chip? Is the one in my car now socketed so I can remove it and install a replacement, or would I need to send my entire PCM off?

Where do I acquire the block off plate? Is there a supplier, or do I need to fabricate my own? I am having trouble visualizing where the SC plenum is, and where I'd install the plate, but hopefully I can figure it out.

If I need to send the entire computer off, I'd probably buy one from a parted out car to minimize downtime.

FWIW, I have been doing component level circuit board work for years, so if it just needs a socket installed, I'm capable.

IIRC, your car is OBD or EEC-IV. If so, then you need something like the Quarterhorse from Moates - better to buy it preprogrammed from someone like Dalke than straight from Moates.

It plugs into a plug on the side of the PCM (instructions on Moates' web site, or with the Quarterhorse.)

To play with your tune yourself, you'll need something like Binary Editor.

Go to Moates' web site ( http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords-p-199.html?cPath=63 ) for info.

RwP

Hmm, sounds complicated, but I'll sleep on it, and read it again in the morning. A lot to digest at almost 2 AM :)

If I just plug the EGR in the exhaust manifold, and put the block off plate in the plenum, will it run fine and just light the check engine light? Or will the car suffer performance problems etc?

The thread size on the exhaust manifold is the same as an o2 sensor, or was on my 94. Use a o2 plug or have it welded.

Zack

The late model manifold I put on my car was not the same size as an 02 sensor. Even the supposed official ford plug E9TZ9G458A didn't fit. I ended up taking it to a shop to have it welded shut. :mad:

Regards

Sean

Hmm, sounds complicated, but I'll sleep on it, and read it again in the morning. A lot to digest at almost 2 AM :)

If I just plug the EGR in the exhaust manifold, and put the block off plate in the plenum, will it run fine and just light the check engine light? Or will the car suffer performance problems etc?

It'll run fine, just with a check engine light.

If you have a quarterhorse you can disable the EGR completely and not get the check engine light.

Mine has passed CT emissions with EGR deleted for over 10 years. I do still have cats though.

Some SC's never came with an EGR system, I believe it was 1990 auto models.
I don't know all of the specific models that didn't come with an EGR system, but my 1992 AOD did NOT. As a matter of fact, the factory inlet plenum didn't even have a provision for it, so when I upgraded to the MP inlet, I had to make a block-off plate.

I'm sure there is a list on this site somewhere that details all of the SCs that didn't come with EGR.

As for the Quarterhorse, besides turning of the EGR, there are the other benefits of being able to tune more performance from the mods that you have :)

Yeah as long as you have good cats and your car is in good running shape it should pass emissions without the EGR.

If you buy a Quarter Horse it is very easy to dissable the EGR on your own. You don't even need the QH you could just get a moates chip and a jaybird(chip burner) along with binary editor and your definition file and burn a chip. But I highly recommend a QH.;)

SCCOA FAQ Which years had EGR

Last edited:
Since you're about to scrap your EGR tube. Snip off the part that threads into the exhaust manifold (leave an inch) and fill it with some liquid weld. Pinch it shut and thread into manifold. Now just put a EGR block plate on the SC Inlet Plenum and leave the electronics hooked up.

Later when you have a chance, get a QuarterHorse and turn off the EGR yourself. It's super easy, I see you are a Senior System Admin, should be a walk in the park for you.

Nice, that plug looks just like the ticket to me! Only 20 bucks even!

I don't have any other mods, my car is a stock daily driver. I have enough expensive hobbies at this time, that an inexpensive solution is preferred if possible.

I did send a note to an old friend who has a souped up mustang and has something that sounds an awful lot like the Quarterhorse. Going to try and meet up with him for lunch next week and discuss in more detail. Maybe down the road, I'll invest in one of those.

If you don't might leaving the sensor plugged in (with everything else removed) it won't even give you a CEL - I drove like that for several years. If you get a quarter horse later on, you can disable the function and toss the sensor too. :cool:

Back