New A/C compressor won't kick on

sonrider657

I just installed a new A/C compressor on my 1994 SC. Everything seems hooked up and installed properly but when I turn on the A/C the compressor clutch will not engage.

Any help is appreciated!

I can't charge the system because the compressor won't kit on. Seems to be a catch-22 (compressor won't kick on because there is no freon & cannot add freon because the compressor won't kick on).

How to I force the compressor clutch to engage?

I can't charge the system because the compressor won't kit on. Seems to be a catch-22 (compressor won't kick on because there is no freon & cannot add freon because the compressor won't kick on).

How to I force the compressor clutch to engage?

If you connect the freon tank, it will charge up enough for the clutch to kick in in really short spurts. As the charge increases, it will stay on longer and longer.

Or, you can jumper the cycle switch. Be aware that you CAN burn the compressor out especially if you forgot to put enough lubricant in ...

RwP

Thanks! Approximately how many ounces until the compressor will stay on?

Are you using R12 or R134? Was the system originally designed for R134 if that's what you're using?

If R134, and yes, then it's on the radiator support, presuming OEM sized parts.

If you've changed the condensor and/or evaporator, then who knows? :confused:

You HAVE pulled vacuum for > 30 minutes running and > 30 minutes sitting with vacuum, right?

RwP

Are you using R12 or R134? Was the system originally designed for R134 if that's what you're using?

If R134, and yes, then it's on the radiator support, presuming OEM sized parts.

If you've changed the condensor and/or evaporator, then who knows? :confused:

You HAVE pulled vacuum for > 30 minutes running and > 30 minutes sitting with vacuum, right?

RwP

RwP may be on to something here. I've never charged a completely empty system w/ the cans you can get around town. I think typically of a completely empty system, you have to connect a vacuum pump to the system to evacuate all air & then start flowing freon...

I'm not an AC expert, but used to work with a guy that was & have several refrigeration systems here at work that I've watched the AC techs work on...

Rob

Back