Rear end ratio swap

kennyo

I have a 5 spd with the 2:73 rear gear. HAs anyone swapped to the 3:08? Wouldn't it help in town mileage??I know you would lose some on the Hwy but most of my driving is a mixture.

I have 3.07s from a Mark and the only reason i switched was because 5th gear rpms at 65-70 was not very responsive

But I highly recommend you think about your power level first...with lots of power 1st and sometimes 2nd gear become useless with gears lower than 2.73

If you don't plan to drag race much if at all then you will be happy with 3.08s or maybe even 3.27s

+1 on the power level

I had planned on installing 3.27's in my 89 5-speed, but after the mods, I'm glad I didn't. At 300rwhp, the 1st gear shift with the 2.73's is short enough when lightly accelerating. I've driven an otherwisw stock 89 5-speed with 3.27's - even then, I thought first gear was too short. 3.08/3.07 in an otherwise stock sc would probably be a good balance though.

Had 2.73 went 3.27 and 1st just wasnt any use. Quick pop of the clutch and shift, went 3.08, but now back to 2.73 and happy with it. Lightened my flywheel, so have to be careful with it and the quick RPMs help it.

Back