another mustang h/b bolt snapped

anlo

this makes 4 bolts snapped off clean. allowing balancer to walk forward car just stalls ... new balancer no damage to any thing interference fit still tight had to use bal puller to fully remove.. car runs perfect when reassembled. ive seen this question before but never the answer ===== is there a stronger bolt out there with the same threads and pitch ???

if any one knows of a balancer pully available i might try switching out..

HBBOLT.jpg

HB.jpg

The bolts aren't snapping because they aren't strong enough. They are either being over torqued or the engine has a harmonic vibration that is killing the bolts. That doesn't look like a new balancer to me. Is the rubber elastomer still soft? If you are using used balancers you will never have success regardless of the bolt you use. Get a NEW balancer like a BHJ and that will be the end of your problems.

Side note: You should also be aware that the factory balance job on the SC motor varies from engine to engine. Some engines are balanced better than others which is why some people "have no problems" and others have "no end of problems". Personal experience and the experience of others in this case will be very misleading.

thanks

cool dave it is is new balancer about 30 days old..

pully is from another car altogether actually from 90 cougs balancer
it has that small dime shaped weight on it where as original pully had no weights.. just a thought.. at any rate gonna try one last stab at a new bolt / washer and a different pully....then its bhj bound......the wife wants to sell the car anyway for a truck ... i still have my 95.... btw threw away my old original pully......

I would take the pulley and balancer to an engine shop and have them both neutral balanced separately. Then if it fails the bolt I would say the motor has an internal balance problem. It will cost you $50 but you'll want a balanced pulley to put on your BHJ anyway if you have to go that route.

Anlo,

I'm curious where you were able to find a new stock balancer. Several months ago my balancer let go and I couldn't find anyone that could supply a stock balancer. Ended up going to the aftermarket (BHJ).

I did find a few automotive part suppliers that claimed to have one, but the only thing they could supply was a non-SC one. Could it be your "new" balancer is for an externally balanced motor?.. Just a thought.

This new part looks a Dorman balancer ... I am a little leery of anything from them. I'm not saying it necessarily came with some odd defect ... but I would not rule it out!

Is the rubber elastomer still soft? If you are using used balancers you will never have success regardless of the bolt you use. Get a NEW balancer like a BHJ and that will be the end of your problems.
Only time I actually replaced one was when it snapped the bolt and I replaced it with a BHJ. All the other times, ive inspected, and reused the original (< 150000 miles) one and all has been fine. I even patched one where the rubber had started to break up, with Black silicon RTV :eek: and its working great. Im one of the lucky few who has reused balancers with pretty good results. :D

Back