351w in an 89SC with 5 speed?

warmann8er

Finally got the parts I needed to put my SC back together only find that someone broke into the barn where it was stored and stole my supercharger, intercooler and pipes, along with cutting my cats off, my radiator, and worst of all they took all my damn bolts and nuts! I had pulled the engine out a couple of years ago and left everything with the car, other than the long block so I could work on it. So now I'm stuck. I love the car and would rather keep it a true SC but I think it'll be too much of a hassle to try and piece everything back together. I have a 351w out of an old cougar and I`m thinking about using it. Any suggestions on making that happen?

Well, if it's a 351 out of a Cougar, then it's pre-computer controlled? That would be sweet! And easier to fix, but most states, well, mine anyway, won't let you install an engine in a car that's older than the car. :(

I know the trans will probably mount, but not sure about input shaft setups and stuff... Some of the veterans on here will let you know for sure...

There's several folks rocking 351Ws in MN12s over at TCCoA - although, most are doing racing cars with them.

You can find the 5.8 EFI intakes for them, and could even go fuel injected if you wished.

If you desire to do that, it may be better to find a 91-93 5.0HO donor car to get the wiring et al out of.

Motor mounts - they may be a pain. TurboChuck makes some nice solid mounts, complete with the brackets - which are unique to the 91-93 5.0HO (and are required for a 351W).

The 351 won't fit under the hood line, so you're looking at a non-stock hood.

MY suggestion? Find a good 3.8SC and put it back in.

Too bad you're so far from here - I didn't make it to Monroe yesterday, won't today, but the 95 is still there in the yard, and seems to be about 95% complete (air intake from the airbox missing, but that's all that's visible from the front.)

RwP

Thanks for replying guys. Yes it's a carb motor and it's is totally complete down to the plugs and wire and even belts! But I don't know a whole lot about it other than I know I can turn it over fairly easily.

I wish there was a scrapyard like that up here. All I get is well we used to have one but it went the crusher awhile back. It seems that it's getting harder to find parts for it. I'm definitely not giving up on finding a donor sc motor. I don't even care if the motor is shot as long as everything attached to it is still usable.

Oh and so far the law up here doesn't care about what's under the hood as long as long as we don't run anyone over with em lol.

Where in Indiana are you warman? I've got lots of spare superchargers, piping, fasteners, etc. if you'd like to fix your car.

new motor

Did you look in the classifieds? There was a NOS motor with supercharger for sale last week.

You'll needs fly wheel and starter for a 351/302. Many of us have spare motors and hate what not. I've got two parts cars to keep my three running. Craigslist can be your best friend

I'd love to fix it right I'm in Richmond. Basically if I could find a complete motor that and a few other things I'd be set

my 90 sc with a 408w turbo 5spd still sports the stock hood and closes just fine too, although if you tap on it close to the center top it won't flex :cool:

you may need a different oil pan as the cougars pan may not fit, i got a canton 7qt and it cleared almost fine, the damn front sump drain plug hit the stock crossmember and cracked it :( i had to completely remove it and just fill weld it doing away with the front plug, my engine is lowered right on top the k and pushed back an inch by swapping mounts, but anyway that was a few years ago, these days i think damn near everyone makes a comparable pan for about 8x less than what i paid for mine :mad:

i also had to shim the k-member 3/8" using spacers so i could retain the stock hood

i used an edlebrock super victor efi intake and ultra low profile carb to t/b elbow designed for the vettes, i had to cut the top lip off the elbow so it would clear the hood

i got a flywheel and starter for a 95 f250, the "5.0"s have a different imbalance than the 351s, (unless its a "302" from before 81 which it may have the 28.8oz imbalance as the 351, im not sure what your engine is balanced too as im not sure if the 351s ever changed??? My engines came from a 95 and 96 f250 thus i have the roller blocks and those are def 28.8oz

that about covers the mechanics

computer wise, the 91-93 5.0 mn12 94-95 v8 mustang and the 95-96 mass air 5.0 & 5.8 trucks all use the same exact wiring harness, the computers are all interchangeable, the most desireable ecu of those 3 is going to be the sn95 ecu as it has the most programming support

going from a stock supercoupe to a stock 351w isn't very fun, the supercoupe is definitely more exciting, i'd recommend a set of rhs heads and at a minimum retarding the stock cam a few degrees, i couldn't be happier with the super victor intake, its rated from 4500-8500 or so but i got no problem with 3rd gear take offs plenty low end torque :)

hope this helps

I have a SC, intercooler and pipes, throttle body, alternator, and a few other peices as well heads and upper maninfold too dont really know if I want to let go of the heads though, planed on porting them. I have some bolts but I dont recall what they are for, still bagged but Ill haveto check and see what I have but if you want to go that route let me know Ill cut you a good deal, help me help you so you can help me:D I need money for another project and my girls been complaing about this stuff sitting around :p

I also have a lot of parts that I would be willing to let go if you paid for shipping. I have sent 3 sc to the yard my self be cause they where badly wrecked. But I have saved almost every part off them I could.

located a 351w out of a 95 Cobra R in cali with 53K on it..... hmmmmmm
chin_scratch.gif
bangtard.gif

if a big block fits then???

The 351 won't fit under the hood line said:
All I can say is that I was able to stuff a big block under the STOCK S.C. hood. Matter of fact, you can put a stroker with a "crab" intake in there as well, but hat does need a cobra "R" hood to clear everything..
Now if you do want to go back to stock I also have a TON of stock parts that need a good home. Let me know what you want to do and we can go forward from there....Rich

If I were going to do an engine swap right now I would want to kick the tires on the 3.5l ecoboost setup. I am not certain if it would physically fit and you would have to swap out a boat load of wiring but it may be worth it. A turn key 365 HP isn't too bad.

If I were going to do an engine swap right now I would want to kick the tires on the 3.5l ecoboost setup. I am not certain if it would physically fit and you would have to swap out a boat load of wiring but it may be worth it. A turn key 365 HP isn't too bad.

Before I did all that, I would twin tubro our sc engine and have a better all around car....Rich

How could a 3.8 twin turbo pushrod motor be better than a 3.5l ti-vvt twin turbo? I will say for the record I am an advocate for keeping our 3.8 setup in the cars. I just believe the 3.5l ecoboost to be superior in almost all ways than our 3.8.

you will have a big job ahead of you.

First off you won't find too many eco boost engines sitting in a junk yard. That engine is mounted cross ways in the car, that will take some work to get it to fit. Now if you are lucky to find a f150 eco boost then that will help you some. I think that the transmissoin will be another issue to get around. You will need everything from the donor truck to even stand a chance of making this work.
Keep in mind when I first wanted to put a big block in one of these cars everyone said it could not be done... Well many cars later that is not the case any more. Good luck and keep us up on this if you do try.....Rich

Back