ARP Stud To Exhaust Manifold Clearance Question

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
I just installed my heads and when i went to install my Exhaust manifolds some of the lower ARP studs are hitting the manifold EXPECIALLY on the driverside. My question is this: Is it better to Grind the studs or grind the manifold for clearance? i could just take my manifolds to work and machine a little bit off to clear the studs but then i have less sealing surface. What do you guys sugest?

i took a cutoff wheel and shortend the studs to the top of the nut. did it while on the car.

the only reason why there would be a clearance issue is if the studs are not deep enough into the block. This can be caused by gunk in the thread hole that you didn't clean out prior to installing the studs. if you clean it out even 1/2 way the stud should fit all the way down and not pose an issue.

That said, grind the manifold, not the studs.

I had this problem on my 94 SC using the SC specific ARP studs .. even after the holes were re-tapped and cleaned out. Didnt have any problems with the Chevy 2.8 studs.

I ground my manifolds for clearance as well .. better to grind the manifolds than the studs, just in case you need to remove them later on down the road, wouldnt want to lose those hex recesses on the studs. You dont need to take off very much material to clear the studs.

- Dan

the only reason why there would be a clearance issue is if the studs are not deep enough into the block. This can be caused by gunk in the thread hole that you didn't clean out prior to installing the studs. if you clean it out even 1/2 way the stud should fit all the way down and not pose an issue.

That said, grind the manifold, not the studs.

nah I believe the sc specific studs seem to be to long. Many people had issues with this an dhad to grind them down. Not a problem with the 2.8 chevy studs

Good to know!
I bought the Chevy specific studs

Recently Kevin L mentioned the 2.8 chevy stud kit had slightly smaller washers...Many people have used the kits with no issue however he brought up that may affect its clamping force. I dont believe that to be the case but you can always pick up the washers separately

If anyone has the washer dimensions I can do an analysis for what its worth

Recently Kevin L mentioned the 2.8 chevy stud kit had slightly smaller washers...Many people have used the kits with no issue however he brought up that may affect its clamping force. I dont believe that to be the case but you can always pick up the washers separately

If anyone has the washer dimensions I can do an analysis for what its worth

I'll try to get some dimensions of my washers later. I believe i have the 2.8 chevy kit.

Back