A/C Delete tensioner fitment help.

275hptbirdsc

I bought an ac delete tensioner from a fellow member on here awhile ago and I just got started putting it on but I cant for the life of me figure out how to put it on. I checked out the thread that explains it but all the pictures are gone from it. When I try to mount both pins in the stock location its way to far to the right and when I put it in the area that the thread specified the pin doesnt go all the way in and it tightens unbalanced. Thanks for any help.

Which Way are you going?

Did you buy the AC delete tensioner as from a mustang with a ribbed pulley and shortening the belt that way or did you purchase the AC Pulley delete kit and the belt routes the same way?

I did mine with the Mustang tensioner and a wider ribbed pulley. The tensioner swings the opposite way Towards the center of the motor) to take up the slack and I used I think about a 50" belt.

All the pins mounted exactly where they are supposed to on this setup.

Smitty

Did you buy the AC delete tensioner as from a mustang with a ribbed pulley and shortening the belt that way or did you purchase the AC Pulley delete kit and the belt routes the same way?

I did mine with the Mustang tensioner and a wider ribbed pulley. The tensioner swings the opposite way Towards the center of the motor) to take up the slack and I used I think about a 50" belt.

All the pins mounted exactly where they are supposed to on this setup.

Smitty

Its a tensioner from a n/a tbird or mustang i cant remember. Heres the thread http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122958 It fits fine in the mounting holes but it way to far to the right and swings up instead of down.

The tensioner should swing up. Unless I'm not understanding your definition. The tensioner in the links looks correct.

Here's a couple of pics without belt and with belt.

I pulled the tensioner down towards the alternator so I could get the belt on and then it lifts the belt up towards the hood to maintain tension.

I set the tensioner to provide as much tension as possible, i.e.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Sean

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 000_1999.jpg
    000_1999.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 86
You have to re drill the hole for the stud that sticks out on the back side of the tensioner.Here is the part# for the belt providing you already have the 8 rib pulley on the tensioner.

NAPA 25-08560 8 rib belt

Tensioner

Here is the tensioner I used from Autozone.:

AutoZone Part #305247 Tensioner
Autozone Part #231053 Pulley (8 Rib with grooves)

I don't remember what vehicle the pulley is from the one on the tensioner is too thin, I think 6 rib only.

The bolt that holds the pulley to the tensioner is reverse thread. I did have to grind a little off the tensioner on the front face for the wider pulley to not rub on the tensioner.

Don't remember if I had to drill the locating hole in the accessory bracket for the pin on the tensioner a little bigger or not, but I think I might have. Other than that it fit and aligns great with plenty of travel for the tensioner to take up slack.

I will try and remember to take pics tomorrow after work.

Smitty

The tensioner should swing up. Unless I'm not understanding your definition. The tensioner in the links looks correct.

Here's a couple of pics without belt and with belt.

I pulled the tensioner down towards the alternator so I could get the belt on and then it lifts the belt up towards the hood to maintain tension.

I set the tensioner to provide as much tension as possible, i.e.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Sean

When the tensioner I have is in the stock location its in the the complete opposite position as yours in the second picture. Im just going to go to a yard today and grab a mustang tensioner and hopefully that fixes it since I have to have this car running in the next couple of days.

When the tensioner I have is in the stock location its in the the complete opposite position as yours in the second picture. Im just going to go to a yard today and grab a mustang tensioner and hopefully that fixes it since I have to have this car running in the next couple of days.

You need to drill new holes for the Mustang/Late T-Bird tensioner. It sounds like the one from the yard will probably be exact same thing you have. The stock holes will not orient the new tensioner in the proper location. (like Ikey said) Alternately, you could just cut the studs off the back of the new tensioner (that's what I finally did). The bolt is plenty strong enough to hold the tensioner in place and exact up-down left/right placement isn't essential.

David Neibert (I think) had a good picture of what needed done, but I'm having trouble finding it...

You need to drill new holes for the Mustang/Late T-Bird tensioner. It sounds like the one from the yard will probably be exact same thing you have. The stock holes will not orient the new tensioner in the proper location. (like Ikey said) Alternately, you could just cut the studs off the back of the new tensioner (that's what I finally did). The bolt is plenty strong enough to hold the tensioner in place and exact up-down left/right placement isn't essential.

David Neibert (I think) had a good picture of what needed done, but I'm having trouble finding it...

Yep, went and bought one at the yard and its the same thing so now i have two! :D:eek: I dont feel comfortable drilling new holes so I just may go the route of cutting the studs off.

Yep, went and bought one at the yard and its the same thing so now i have two! :D:eek: I dont feel comfortable drilling new holes so I just may go the route of cutting the studs off.

The tensioner base should have two stubs protruding from the base. One is supposed to go into one of the holes on your accesory bracket and the other just hangs off the side. Mine wouldn't fit like that and I ended up sawing off the one that's supposed to hang over the side and drilling out a bigger hole in the accesory bracket to better fit the remaining stub on the tensioner.

This thread has a picture and part numbers along with some other info that might be useful.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106141&highlight=delete

David

Back