Hesitating under heavy boost-Fixed

scskydivin

SCCoA Member
So, car idles fine. Runs around town fine. Small boost under 8lbs was fine too. 10lbs was iffy at best. After 10lbs it would start to hesitate until i backed off the throttle. I thought it was strange. Ever since I got my chip from Dalke, the car ran great. (I can't wait to give that guy a bunch more money!!!) So, what happened?

I thought it was my lack of proper intercooler tube sealant. So, I took off the tubes. While they were off, I installed a Helicoil on a stripped out thread on the supercharger. I was told to take care of that last fall. So now, all 4 holes on top of the sc are Helicoiled. Nice n' tight. I resealed the intercooler tubes. Taking my time to make sure I didn't do a sloppy job trying to rush.

While I was in there, I thought about my ever so slightly leaking thermostat. Might as well fix that too. I had an extra gasket in the garage that turned out to be the wrong one. A quick trip to Advance got me the right gasket. Thanks to the search option here, I got the right part # and the correct, patient way to install this. It saved me alot of time. The 1st go around with this fix resulted in a larger leak than the one I started with.

I put it all together, waited the 24 hr cure time & took er down the street.....
Same dam hesitation....

I then buy 6 new plugs. Figuring that fix has solved a couple issues over the years, new plugs couldn't hurt. The 3 on the pass side weren't as easy as I remember. It helps to unhook the fuel wire harness. Then it was the 2 easy ones on the driver side. Took em out, looked em over. They all looked good. Gapped the new ones. Slapped a small bead of antiseaze on them and put em in. The last one I just couldn't get. My hands were cramping. I kept dropping the socket, ratchet, adapter tool down onto the lower crossmember. The magnet was grabbing everything under there except the dropped tool! Isn't that how it always goes?

I decided to say screw the last plug. The other ones were good anyway. So what was the difference? I just wanted to be done. I was just supposed to reseal the tubes anyway. I hadn't planned on working on the dang car for 2 days! I tried it one last time & got it to turn. Yay! Looked it over. It was broke! Well sh--! Glad I got the last one out.

I took it out on the highway with my boy today. It was as if I just got it back from Dave! Dang thing runs great!

So my problem with hesitation under boost was a broken spark plug. The last Got Dam one I looked at. If resealing your tubes doesn't work, check those plugs!

Everytime i have had a hessitation issus, it has always been a plug or wire issue. Glad you got it fixed...

i had a hesitation that was due to a bad plug wire, i then had another hesitation that was due to a bad coil pack

when your only dealing with 6 cylinders it only takes one to make the whole engine run like pooh

Back