New radio worked for one minute.

thunderbird89sc

Hooked up new head unit using metes harness for premium sound. Worked fine until I started putting the wires back in the dash and now I get no sound. Unhooked the harness and reconnected all wire and same thing. Bought a new harness and still same problem. The unit has power and is working but the speakers are not. Any ideas guys?
Matt

Sounds to me like you may have a short in a wire. You are looking for one place along the wiring harnesses where the wires bend into the same position when you put everything into the dash--chances are good that it could be close to the back of the head unit. You can use a continuity tester on every wire from end to end of each harness, and move the wires around as youre checking each one. If there's a short you should be able to find it in this way.

same as before

I'm using the sane set up I had before with the old aftermarket unit. Didn't use an amp bypass. Ill check for shorts when I get home.

You said you have Premium Sound - Did you also get the harness to Bypass the factory amps in the trunk?

That will cause what you are experiencing.

-Tim

Hooked up new head unit using metes harness for premium sound. Worked fine until I started putting the wires back in the dash and now I get no sound. Unhooked the harness and reconnected all wire and same thing. Bought a new harness and still same problem. The unit has power and is working but the speakers are not. Any ideas guys?
Matt

Mine would light up but could not hear anything. Check the fuses under the hood.

blue wires

I talked to a local mobile audio place. They said to make sure the blue wire for remote. Power is connected to a blue one on the metra harness. And if there is one that is blue and a blue with white stripe to make sure they are both connected to the remote power. I remembered having to do something like that when I put the old CD player in. Does this sound at all familiar?

Correct harness

Is Scosche FDK2B the correct bypass harness for the Amp for the Premium Sound? Would Scosche Ford/JBL and GM/Bose Speaker Level Converter, FAI-3 work, or be better?

Is Scosche FDK2B the correct bypass harness for the Amp for the Premium Sound? Would Scosche Ford/JBL and GM/Bose Speaker Level Converter, FAI-3 work, or be better?

The Scosche FDK2B includes the adapters for the back of the radio, but yes, it has the bypass.

The Speaker Level Converter would work if you wanted to use the old amp.

I'd go with the Scosche part myself.

RwP

Where I was leaning,

Ralph, I do want to use the old amp, but if you guys are saying to bypass, than bypass I shall. Thank you. I was just confused because I didn't have this problem when I hooked the old head unit.
Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Sigh

What happen was the blue amp remote wire off the head unit's harness came loose from the plug, put it back in and all works well, no bypass or in-line converter needed.
Thanks guys,
Matt

Back