Cranks good but no start..

MichealScott

Started driving the car again a few days ago everything working perfectly fine. Was waiting to turn into my neighborhood today and it just stalled out of nowhere. It cranks forever no problem but won't start.

Changed the fuel filter immediately no luck, and I don't get the 'up arrow' while cranking so its not the crank sensor right..? Here's a link to a video below if anybody has an idea what it could be..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKs3...DvjVQa1PpcFPVV9Km78AEp7nHT8d0okgiALmdn5MVUs8=

Check the Cam Sensor or DIS module might also be the culpret. Both easy to get to.

Can have your DIS Module tested for free at any parts store also.

I've had crank sensors go out before where the shift up light didnt burn for the balancer bolt had broken off and the balancer had play...one of those 3 is my guess. :D

-Tim

Either check for spark or fuel pressure. That will get you in the right direction at least. For it to totally not fire you lost one of those 2. I would think if the balancer failed and took out the crank sensor you should be able to see the crank pulley wobbling when someone cranks it, so check that. You may find you just have a bad fuel pump.

chris

Last edited:
Fuel pump has like 5000 miles on it hope it wouldn't be that..

Could it be a timing belt? Gonna check all the sensors tuesday

Does the shift light flash while cranking? Nvr mind. I just read that the shift arrow isn't flashing.

Last edited:
Fuel pump has like 5000 miles on it hope it wouldn't be that..

Could it be a timing belt? Gonna check all the sensors tuesday

I wouldn't say zero chance of the timing belt but I've never seen one go or cause the problems your experiencing. The timing belt would be my last place of inspection.

Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor or DIS Module would be the first 3 places I would start with.

-Tim

has a chain, like was said- spark, fuel pressure,balancer. would also check ignition switch. good luckand let us know, brian

with the three sensors (cam, crank, DIS) should I unplug each one individually to see if the car starts. If the problem remains would that tell me that its something else..?

with the three sensors (cam, crank, DIS) should I unplug each one individually to see if the car starts. If the problem remains would that tell me that its something else..?

The car wont start if you unplug any of them...if any one of em is bad the car won't start...Start off by taking the DIS module off and taking it to your local parts store to have tested (free at most stores)...if good then spend $30 and get a new cam sensor...if still nothing I would say your problem lies within your balancer/crank.

I'm not suggesting you throw money at it but with what you've discribed your problem seems like one of the three.

-Tim

Fuel pressure good haven't ran codes, ign switch wouldn't cause car to just stall suddenly while driving would it?

When mine was acting up it would die while accelerating temporarily, and then come back. Same with around corners, and braking. They do funny things when they go out.

My was a problem with key

I could turn key to on and hear fuel pump run
If I moved the key a lil in either direction
The lights would blink and hear pump run again
And if my knee touched it while driving,
It would cut out and
I would jiggle key and it would run again

Great reference. Thanks. I see LED test lamp mentioned. Anyone have wiring for same?
Curious if LED puts enough load on circuit being tested to be of any use.
Creighton

Last edited:
Fuel pressure good haven't ran codes, ign switch wouldn't cause car to just stall suddenly while driving would it?

Good evening

Yes a faulty ignition switch can cause power disruption. As moovn2vegas suggested remove the steering column covers and gently pull on the large bottom electrical connector. If you see large movement/separation between the two ignition half the switch is bad.

Great reference. Thanks. I see LED test lamp mentioned. Anyone have wiring for same?
Curious if LED puts enough load on circuit being tested to be of any use.
Creighton

I'm chasing the exact same issue on my 1990 right now. The car stalled three times on me, then she went dead. I replaced the ignition switch, then I did the typical stuff mentioned before. I replaced the camshaft, crankshaft sensors and the DIS. Still no luck.
I'm going through the electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual right now. Between the electrical troubleshooting manual and the shop manual, I think I understand how the system works. I'm planning to start from the beginning using the ignition switch troubleshooting method describe in the manual (page 149-4) , then on down from there. I will let you know what I come with.
Let me know if you need any of the documentation, I can send you a copy of the schematics. Some electrical knowledge is probably needed to get through the checking process.

I would clean a check the battery ground. I just had similar problems with my lx and the ground was loose. I never thought to check it until I touched the wire and burned myself after trying to start it.

Found the issue

Alright, I think I found my issue.
I used the troubleshooting guide.
First check the codes. I got 11, everything is good.
Step 1: check for sparks. I had no ignition on any of the cylinder, go to step 2.
Step 2: check the PIP on the crankshaft sensor. No signal. Solution replace the sensor.

So I replaced the sensor three times, still no fire. I also ran the troubleshooting three times, except for the PIP signal, everything checked out
I replaced everything Crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, harnesses, computer etc.. Still nothing.
I also check the harmonic balancer for proper positioning. It looked good, so I thought.

I was pretty sure the issue was timing, so I thought may be the timing chain had jump a tooth.
Then, the light bulb came on! What if the balancer was sliding off the crankshaft? Just far enough for the ring to not set off the sensor but still look like it is normal.

Bingo! The bolt was sheared off, broke clean, and the balancer started to pull out.

This is the only thing I would had the troubleshooting guide. Instead of mentionning the harmonic balancer at the end, I would add the comment after step 2. Check for proper harmonic balancer sitting. It does not take much for the ring to quit doing it's job, nearly a few millimeters.
I will post pictures later.

Back