Grinds goin into 3rd gear...

A part known as a blocker ring. The Mazda m5r2-RKE transmission used a fiber lined (sort of like a brake pad) blocker ring (aka synchro ring). These are very hard to find new, and are pricey, but the F150 unlined rings are widely avaliable and will work. There are 4 rings. One for each gear. And a smaller ring for gear 5 and R.

The synchros are brass, but it meshes into a steel slider ring which meshes into a steel gear. And long term grinding will cause wear on the other components to where a new synchro will still not shift properly. So go easy on it until you can fix it.

Liberty's or Southern Gear to see what parts they have.

I'm not sure if you plan on doing this yourself or taking it somewhere, but taking the trans out and then looking inside would be next. You can actually take the cover off the top of the transmission and get a good look at 1-4 gears, engage each of them and check clearances with a feeler gage. I can't remember how visible everything is, but if you know what to look for you can probably tell if your slider ring is boogered up and even the gear itself. Getting a new set of synchros for 1-5 and R is a no brainer though.

I rebuilt mine myself using new and "previously tested" parts from Mack's Transmission and I ended up having $800 in parts alone. Expensive yes but still cheaper than trying to retro fit another 5 speed, which will most likely not stand up to the car, or a 6 speed.

Hock, what parts did $800 get you?

Last time I did mine was 2004 and I paid about $400 for a new (NOS) 3-4 slider ring and hub, NOS fiber blockers for 1-4, then brass for 5 and R. Reused all the nuts and seals.

Call to verify. Stale listings are common. I rebuilt my 5 speed with new carbon fiber lined rings, for gears 1-4, which I had to call around to get. They ran $125 each but you do what you have to do... I have a couple of brand new brass rings sitting around, but I won't use them in MY tbird unless I have no other choice.

Last edited:
Call to verify. Stale listings are common. I rebuilt my 5 speed with new carbon fiber lined rings, for gears 1-4, which I had to call around to get. They ran $125 each but you do what you have to do... I have a couple of brand new brass rings sitting around, but I won't use them in MY tbird unless I have no other choice.
Mine just grinds in 1st which is wierd but I wont down shift my car any more than I have to. I would like to know where you found the carbon fiber rings so I can put them in mine

Hock, what parts did $800 get you?

Last time I did mine was 2004 and I paid about $400 for a new (NOS) 3-4 slider ring and hub, NOS fiber blockers for 1-4, then brass for 5 and R. Reused all the nuts and seals.

1st-3rd gears
1st-2nd slider assembly
3rd-4th slider ring
1st-Reverse synchronizers
Input and output shaft bearings
Input and output shaft seals
Counter shaft and output shaft nuts

I'm sure there may a few small items I have forgotten but thats the gist of it.

1st-3rd gears
1st-2nd slider assembly
3rd-4th slider ring

Wow. :eek: Sounds like it had a hard life of clutchless speed shifts :eek: Was there anything that was reusable? :rolleyes:

1st-3rd gears
1st-2nd slider assembly
3rd-4th slider ring

When did you get it and what parts were brand new? Sorry for the questions.

Back