Tire size and rub

Chris Ashford

Hi all, I'm about to get new rubber for my '89 XR7. I'm keeping the stock alloy rims but want to widen the tires. Looking at getting a set of BFG G-force 255/50/16 on all 4 corners. Anyone ever try that size and will they clear? Any other brand suggestions would be welcome as well.
The car is not lowered at this time but planning on 1.5 drop later this year, will the tires still fit?
Also, I need the outside, passenger side, Cougar logo (C-pillar) if anyone has one they'd like to sell or donate.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm about to get new rubber for my '89 XR7. I'm keeping the stock alloy rims but want to widen the tires. Looking at getting a set of BFG G-force 255/50/16 on all 4 corners. Anyone ever try that size and will they clear? Any other brand suggestions would be welcome as well.
The car is not lowered at this time but planning on 1.5 drop later this year, will the tires still fit?
Also, I need the outside, passenger side, Cougar logo (C-pillar) if anyone has one they'd like to sell or donate.

I have 255/50/16 all the way around on my 93 Tbird. It is lowered 1.5" and I do not have any problems with rubbing.
Ken

I ran BFG 255-50-16" Comp TA's on my 95 SC for several years without any problems. When I first installed them it set at the stock ride height and looked pretty bad as in way too much fender/wheel gap. After I installed H&R lowering springs it looked pretty good IMO. Check out the pic.

white1sm.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Jimmy, nice looking car, track times too. And ya even with the fatter tires these cars need to drop some.

Back