Odd SC v. LX issue

Dahoopd

Ok, so I had 3:27's in my SC and 1st gear was kind of short but not bad. I installed the same trans and rear in an LX and its like there isnt any gear. I can actually go to a better gear. Would the V8 make that big of a difference if any?

The other thing is I couldn't hit 3rd in the SC but in the LX, the car will leave a 3 foot long 3rd mark. Kind of strange. :rolleyes:

One thing you don't mention - was the SC auto, or manual?

If manual, yes, due to the 1st gear ration in the M5R2, to get the same 1st gear on an auto takes ... IIRC, about a 4:10 or so (!!!) as the M5R2 has with the 3.27.

*checks math*

No, if it's a Gen1, a 4.33 would be required, but a Gen2 can get by with a 3.93 (!!) (Given those ratios ARE available ...)

Now, the mod motors ARE more rev-happy than the pushrods, so it could also be that you do need more gear on a 4.6. Seems like the folks at TCCoA rather like 4.10 and higher for the mod motors.

RwP

lack of torque for the v8 at low RPM makes it feel like no gear. No idea about the leaving marks

I assume the lack of torque allows it to hit 3rd easier. I must say my SC would have eaten it alive but the LX runs good and damn does it sounds good.

Back