PDA

View Full Version : My first car.

XR7 Phillip
04-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi everybody. For those of you who don't know me already, my name is Phillip Dalke and I am the son of the famous David Dalke. I am 17 years old and a junior in high school.

My dad and I purchased Mark Kovalcik's cougar back in the summer of 2009 (I had just turned 15) with no powertrain. After that I got to watch it sit in the driveway. It sat there (about a year) till there was sufficient space in the shop and I got the motivation to start this long project. Well, it wasn't originally planned as a long project, but that's just how sc's seem to turn out.

Once it was in the shop, one of the first things I did was rebuild a 5-speed transmission for the car so I could swap the auto for a manual. After that we got to work on a motor for the car. We ended up getting a stock motor from Corey Binks that supposedly only needed headgaskets. Back at the shop I tore the motor down and found some not-so-nice wear on the cylinder walls. Dad decided that wasn't acceptable and decided the motor would have to be rebuilt. In the end it was rebuilt with good used parts that were found in SCU inventory, including pistons (mix-matched set), forged connecting rods (four were bent and had to be straightened, one on which may still have an S-curve in it, as it's shorter that the rest), a cam with .600 lift (originally it had been damaged, but Dave worked his magic and polished it to be acceptable), heads that are not ported, but do have a nice, 5-angle valve grind and big valves (originally one of the valves did not seat properly, so we just ran it hoping it would work itself out), and 1.73 rocker arms (more than half had flat spots on the rollers, which had to be replaced). The motor is topped off with a ported early model blower with coated rotors, a raised top, and a 5% pulley. It runs really strong for a pile of leftover parts.

Back to the car itself. While we had the motor out, we noticed it had several cracks in the firewall, testament to the many aggressive launches the car had experienced. We decided it was best to fix them now while the motor was out so I got to work taking the dash out so they could be welded. Once the dash was out and the carpet/underlay was peeled back we could get to the bare metal. However, that turned out to be more of a curse than anything else.. Under the carpet we found rust...lots of it! :( There was no way we could put the carpet back down over top of it, so began the tedious job of rust repair. Out came the seats, front and back, the carpet, and wiring. There holes under both the driver and passenger's feet, as well as the floor right in front of the back seat on the driver side. Eventually all of the cancer was cut out and the unibody repaired. It was also at this time the firewall was repaired, the pedals swapped, and the wires for the trunk-mounted battery rerouted. That took the longest of any work we did to the car. Dad says I'm lucky I'm his son because he won't do rust repair every again for anyone. Thanks Dad! :)

Fast forward and the motor is in the car, along with the trans, driveshaft and 2:73 gears. We also swapped the mustang hubs for Supercoupe ones because the wheels I decided I wanted on the car were Supercoupe bolt pattern. The car also has the 13" brake upgrade, along with blue tokico shocks and chassis bracing.

Finally the car fired up for the first time in many years late January, but car was far from drivable. First on the list of problems turned out to be the clutch switch. The car would want to die when you put it in gear. Eventually we found our wiring error and solved that problem. When we finally tried to drive the car, it would lurch after shifting. The computer told us that the TPS, ACT, and ECT sensors were not working, specifically when the car was acting up. After some diagnostics and tracing the wiring diagrams, we solved the problem by adding an extra ground to that circuit. Then, Dad drove it for a couple of days before the ABS kicked out. Dad said my problem was either a bad pressure switch or bad pump. I really didn't want to have to change either so I got kinda mad and depressed with the car because I had worked so hard and so long on the car and it still wasn't drivable. I took a break for a while and today I decided I would tackle the problem. First, I tested for power at the pump, and low-and-behold, after wiggling the connectors the pump worked! Yeah! :) So I cleaned all the connections and added some grease and hopefully that solves the problem. Now hopefully, after a year and half, my car can be done.

Recently we got the car on the dyno and it put down some pretty impressive numbers for having an early blower and stock intercooler IMO. It is officially faster than my fatherís car. See dyno sheets below.

First on the list of upgrades include a FMIC, some gauges (probably oil pressure and AFR), and a stereo system.

Wow...that was rather long winded. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read my story. I look forward to sharing information and experiences, as well as general bs-ing with everyone.

Thanks again,

Phillip

neverfastenough
04-22-2012, 11:19 PM
So are you daily driving the car now?

BLOWN38
04-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Better get to sleep its a school night.:p

I think Dad should be the Infamous David Dalke.

Dang the kid can put some sentences and paragraphs together. Must not be a texter.:D

Anyway welcome, youngin.:cool:

Cat Girl
04-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Be safe, my child.

CMac89
04-22-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm glad that you do as well with cars as you do in English class, bro. Did you accidentally call your dad "Dave" or is there another one at the shop?

Have fun with the car and be safe. No turbos for you until you get comfortable with driving an SC! Most people on here are still at that stage, so no worries.:)

David Neibert
04-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Welcome Phillip. Really glad to hear you've got the car running. That car has always been one of my favorites in the club. Congrats on making some very impressive power for the mods you have.

David

PS: Hope to see you on the Power Tour next month.

DrFishbone
04-23-2012, 10:41 AM
I was wondering when you'd finally sign up Philip. :) Congratulations on getting the car driveable! It does get very frustrating at times...especially when it seems like everything is falling apart on the car. Sometimes taking a break from the work for a little while helps.

Also congrats on the dyno numbers! Looks pretty dang good to me! :cool:

Kurt K
04-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Good to see you here Phillip. Now that you've made it past all of the early pains with your car, you should be good for a while.

rbrown
04-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I am impressed with the story. If all the youngun's were so proper.

And welcome. And good luck.

bigpoppa822
04-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Yay, another guy on the forum that's not an old fart :D
Welcome

kenewagner
04-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Looking forward to watching the progress on your car and swapping stories:D

Ken

XR7 Dave
04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

It was too late last night for me to resize a bunch of pictures, but here they are.

I do plan on driving the car daily, but I don't have insurance, so that hasn't happened yet. Hopefully that issue will be resolved within a week so I can drive my car on the road for the first time. :D

XR7 Phillip
04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Sorry, forgot to switch log-ins....

I'm going to have to make double sure of that next time.. :o I'm still new to this..

Anyway, more pictures.

nickleman60
04-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Welcome aboard Phillip, I'm sure that in a couple of years I'll be trying to catch you instead of you trying to catch me. Listen to your dad because he's "been there/done that" plus he can save you a ton of money.....:D

neverfastenough
04-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Doin work with that wrinkle finish!

XR7 Phillip
04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
And more pictures...

XR7 Phillip
04-23-2012, 09:32 PM
And a few more of the finished rust repair...

I just realized I don't have any current pictures of the car as it sits now. Hopefully I can get some of those tomorrow.

XR7 Dave
04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Did I mention I hate rust repair? That was a work of congress to get me to do that. It's pretty solid now though and we put POR15 over all of it to hopefully seal out any future deterioration.

Notice it has the right # of pedals? ;)

90coug
04-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Looking good!

Team Dalke FTW!

rbrown
04-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Did I mention I hate rust repair? That was a work of congress to get me to do that. It's pretty solid now though and we put POR15 over all of it to hopefully seal out any future deterioration.

Notice it has the right # of pedals? ;)

So now that you are in practice. I'll fly you down and we can do a tune-and-fix-rust weekend.

fast Ed
04-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Hey Phil! As soon as I saw that screen name I knew who it was without clicking on the thread.

Glad to hear that you guys got the car going. That's a heck of an education for you on these cars, probably even more so than you've seen hanging around helping out your father.

cheers
Ed

CMac89
04-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Is it okay with your parents if I call you "Phildo?"

XxSlowpokexX
04-24-2012, 10:27 PM

dude!

Lookin good Phillip!

David Neibert
04-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Glad to hear that you guys got the car going. That's a heck of an education for you on these cars, probably even more so than you've seen hanging around helping out your father

Phillip probably has more experince wrenching on SCs and XR7s than 95% of people in this club. For his age, I don't think there is another person who could touch him when it comes to experince working on these cars.

On my car alone, he helped Dave to pull and reinstall the motor, switch over to late model spindles to accept larger brakes, dismantled and reconditioned the spindles, rebuilt the rear calipers and swapped all the interior from leather to cloth.

He is a very impressive young man and one of very few people I trust to work on my car.

David

rbrown
04-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Phillip probably has more experince wrenching on SCs and XR7s than 95% of people in this club. For his age, I don't think there is another person who could touch him when it comes to experince working on these cars.

On my car alone, he helped Dave to pull and reinstall the motor, switch over to late model spindles to accept larger brakes, dismantled and reconditioned the spindles, rebuilt the rear calipers and swapped all the interior from leather to cloth.

He is a very impressive young man and one of very few people I trust to work on my car.

David

If this was Facebook, I would have liked this post.

Jimmy 2Coupes
04-25-2012, 05:47 PM
I too always liked Marks Cougar. Sounds like it's in good hands Phillip...can't wait to see it again.

XR7 Phillip
04-25-2012, 08:54 PM

I would prefer if you didn't.... :cool:

rzimmerl
04-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Nice to see you guys got it all together and running, think it was still in rust repair mode last I saw it. Got any shots of the exterior?

fast Ed
04-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Didn't that name get retired when Phil Kuhn sold his 93? :p

cheers
Ed

XR7 Phillip
04-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Finally the weather was nice enough to wash my car. Here are the exterior pictures as per request.

XR7 Phillip
04-29-2012, 02:18 PM
And here are some pictures of the test fit of the spoiler I plan on installing.

nmcbchief
04-29-2012, 04:05 PM
I think it looks good Phillip! Glad I got to meet you a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to seeing more of your car.

ricardoa1
04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I would not do that spoiler but thats just me. Im happy you got to own the infamus Marks car. Good job on it. Did the car have rust before or did it rot out on the driveway awaiting for you guys to work on it?

The car looks great. Dad should keep the old SCHOOL Borbets on his car :p though. You should save up for something less dated.

It will be a while for me to hand down my cars to my kids its awsome that you have Dave as your tutor, mentor and Dad.

Now go help him make some parts for his clients. LOL.

Look forward to some forum BSing

XR7 Phillip
04-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Don't worry, the Borbets aren't staying on the car. Actually, I already have some Boyd Coddington Magneato wheels to go on the car. The reason they're not on it now it because they need to be polished...badly.

This is what they should look like, minus whatever's on the center cap. Mine just have the name "Boyd Coddington" engraved in the middle. :cool:

XxSlowpokexX
04-29-2012, 05:59 PM
I love the background in a few of those photos haha!

nmcbchief
04-29-2012, 06:04 PM
That is what I like about everyone's cars. Take a stock looking car and make it YOURS! Do what you want to it as long as it makes you feel good about it. Keep up the good work.

nickleman60
04-29-2012, 07:26 PM
And here are some pictures of the test fit of the spoiler I plan on installing.

Looks good Phil, it'll look even better with the new wheels.

Hey.........looks like my old Opal Frost '94 auto in the driveway.

Toms-SC
04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
I was 17 when I got my SC (maybe 16) and in High School as well Phil. I've still got it.

JT's03
04-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Nice car young blood:cool:

btw, I have a son your age and a daughter 12yrs old, haha. He doesnt turn wrenches with me but is following my foot steps into the military.

XR7 Dave
04-29-2012, 11:27 PM
I love the background in a few of those photos haha!

Yeah, and that is only some of them. :o

Lets see, we currently have:

3 black Cougars,
2 white T-birds,
1 Teal T-bird,
2 Opal Frost T-birds,
1 Midnight blue T-bird,
2 Black T-birds,
1 other Blue T-bird,
1 Red T-bird,
1 Silver T-bird,

and 94% of one Grabber blue T-bird all sitting either at the house or the shop (no, they don't all belong to us), but we definitely do have a full house!

Holy cow, that's 15 MN12's (and no, none of them are parts cars). Yikes. And some of you wonder why I don't seem to get any work done. :(

BLOWN38
04-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah, and that is only some of them. :o

Lets see, we currently have:

3 black Cougars,
2 white T-birds,
1 Teal T-bird,
2 Opal Frost T-birds,
1 Midnight blue T-bird,
2 Black T-birds,
1 other Blue T-bird,
1 Red T-bird,
1 Silver T-bird,

and 94% of one Grabber blue T-bird all sitting either at the house or the shop (no, they don't all belong to us), but we definitely do have a full house!

Holy cow, that's 15 MN12's (and no, none of them are parts cars). Yikes. And some of you wonder why I don't seem to get any work done. :(

I was gonna say did i miss the open house thread.:eek:

Is that from memory or did you have to go out and look.:p

David Neibert
04-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Glad to see you sawed down that spider hotel (aka Pine tree) from the front yard.

David

mywhite89
05-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Congrats on the car Phillip and welcome to the boards. I think I seen your car without an engine a few years ago. I wish I had a machine like that in high school, but I can image the trouble I would have caused!

Chris

David R.
03-13-2013, 01:53 AM
Finally the weather was nice enough to wash my car. Here are the exterior pictures as per request.

I'm not a big cougar fan, but this has me reconsidering. Great looking car man!

90MN12
03-13-2013, 03:01 AM
Great car. I remember when it sold and wishing I coulda bought it. Guess you gotta be careful what you wish for.

XR7 Phillip
03-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Great looking car man!

Thanks!

Hopefully winter goes away soon so I can drive it again. :rolleyes:

J dot Miller
03-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Nice XR7!!! Excellent job. :)

I musta have been seeing things... I thoughta I saw a Thunderbird SC rear bumper? :confused:

mellbutler
03-13-2013, 08:51 PM
glad to see you on here philip! The rust pics are very familiar, my 93 has similar, and you can put a fist through the rockers...thank god for side skirts...lol