Using a Crane Springs # 99838

90sc35thann

Does anyone know what part number spring cups I will want to use with these springs and our cylinder heads? It's been a while since I machined a pair of our heads for aftermarket springs and I remember the spring walking around too much and needing a spring cup but can't remember which to use. I also remember having to machine the head to accept the spring cup. Please tell me I am not crazy. LOL

That's what I thought Dave. Thank you. I already had the 249-4720 cutting tool. I wanted to be sure before I started cutting the shoulder down on the guide. It's been ten years since I have done this to our cylinder heads. Those factory spring cups suck. :)

That's what I thought Dave. Thank you. I already had the 249-4720 cutting tool. I wanted to be sure before I started cutting the shoulder down on the guide. It's been ten years since I have done this to our cylinder heads. Those factory spring cups suck. :)

Not if you are using good springs. ;)

Not if you are using good springs. ;)

Yeah I know. Much has changed in ten years. I want to keep with my 99838 dual springs because I know what to expect. I am not familiar with the beehive springs but I am familiar with the benefits. Less mass, higher revving, easier on the valve train, etc. I am not ignorant to the fact that there are better alternatives out there I am just not familiar enough withy them to use them. :) I guess I am kind of old school. LOL

Just curious about your cam selection and heads/valves.

Paul

.573 lift intake and exhaust
208/216 duration @.050 intake/exhaust.

Exhaust valve size 1.6 inches.

Wy do you ask? It's basically the same setup I ran back in 2002. What's old is new to me. LOL

Sorry, didn't realize you were running custom cuts in 02.

I was just asking.

Paul

Yeah I was running that same cam back in 2002. I also had a complete ESM supercharger setup back then. Believe it or not I still talk to the guy I sold that car to 9 years ago now and the engine has never had a valve cover off of it. The only thing he has had to do is replace the starter motor. I hope I get as lucky with this build. I figure if it has lasted 10 years now without incident it must be a strong setup. So I want to go with something I know will stand the test of time.

Back