Heavy calcium build up in radiator

Tony8470

I used some tap water from a well years ago to fill my coolant system. I knew it was hard water but I didn't think it was that bad! I tried CLR for about an hour and expected to see it fizzing or clouding the water, got nothing. Then tried vinegar for a week. Now it just looks black. I read you can use muriatic acid, but I'm not so sure I'm willing to go that far. Anyone have suggestions?

This all spawned from me trying to address the high heat issues that come along with the magnum powers FMIC. I started making shroud pieces to go around it, and hope to finish up next week. Will post results and measurements when complete.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 953
Pretty typical.. I tried the same things and had some limited success.. Ended up just ordering new radiators from radiator express. Of course, if you have performance mods in mind, it might be better to just go with a larger radiator, like the Griffin alluminum.

I have a couple year old low use factory replacement that Bill at SCP sells, Absolutely no bent fins, if you're interested let me know. Its collecting dust.

I used the muriatic acid. It looks like it worked decently well. There is build up on the outer edges. But the tubes look clear. Almost done with the shrouds, it will be buttoned up pretty tight.

I did some homework on the various methods. That one may work. What I read was a lot of the newer cars have aluminum radiators, and the heavier acids will eat the metal.

I wanted to put a brush and break all the deposits off but those tubes are so fragile that I didn't want to bend any closed. I know it would have worked, when I put my finger in after soaking for 5 minutes, they readily broke away.

The water was black/blue after the first few rinses. I used 31.5 percent from lowes. Mixed that 50/50 with water.

Back