O2 sensor removal problem

Rezid

I have tried to remove the driver side O2 sensor but its on there really tight. I have tried o2 sensor socket, vice grips, and every wrench or socket there is available. It is now stripped beyond normal. The damn thing wont budge. I now have no idea ho:mad:w to remove it now that its been badly stripped. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to get it off?

Heat the bung (not the sensor), and get a big pair of vice grips on there super tight and try that way...

I had that problem and ended up having to pay a garage to put it on a hoist, torch it and take it of.

Sean

Use PB Blaster or any other penterating lube, let sit for a few hours, get the car up to temp and then try and remove it. If that doesn't work then get a MAPP torch.

Around how much did that run you? In case I can't get ahold of a blow torch...?

I think it cost me $60.00

The biggest thing thing was getting it up on a hoist. If I had my own hoist I think I should have been able to do it my self, but not lying on my back in the driveway.

Regards

Sean

I ended up going to a garage and even they couldn't get it off. They tried heating it with a torch and still no luck so they had to make another slot with new bung for the o2 sensor. Turned out ok.

I noticed the O2 sensors come with antisieze on them. I'll even add a little extra if there's not enough. Your experience is a good example of what can happen without it.

Last edited:
I had an extra bung put on so I could have it tuned. I didnt have a wideband so I had just plugged it up with an extra 02, and a year or so later when I tried to get it off, it took me using a pipe wrench, with a long pipe on it to get it off. totally trashed the threads.now I antiseize or when Im under there i will back them out and back in to keep them free.

I did put a little extra antiseize on it. Don't wanna deal with this issue again. Can't have a third one added. Lol!

When I changed the o2 sensors on my jeep last year, I had cut the wires and use a 3/4 drive impact wrench to get the sensor closest to the manifold off.

Back