Timing cover

90sc35thann

I was disassembling my engine today from my 1994 sc. I got a little too frisky pulling on the timing cover and snapped an ear off. I was told that all 94 and up thunderbird 3.8 covers are the same regardless if it is supercharged or not. Can anyone verify this for me?

I know there is a difference between the early ('89-93) & the late model ('94-95) SC covers. Other than that I didn't know the other 3.8 units could have been switched over, good to know.

The 94/95 3.8L NA Mustang and 3.8L NA Thunderbird timing chain covers are the same as the 94/95 3.8L SC timing chain cover.
It will be a whole lot easier finding a 94/95 Mustang in the boneyard.

The 94/95 3.8L NA Mustang and 3.8L NA Thunderbird timing chain covers are the same as the 94/95 3.8L SC timing chain cover.
It will be a whole lot easier finding a 94/95 Mustang in the boneyard.

It should also be mentioned that the 94/95 timing cover, will also fit an 89-93 SC motor.

David

I called Ford and did some research. They have all (94+ thunderbirds and Cougars with a 3.8 naturally aspirated and supercharged) been superseded to one part number. F4SZ-6019-DA it is still available from Ford and lists for $299.98. If you have connections you can always do better. So a cover from a 94 naturally aspirated Bird/Cougar will fit our 94/95 SC's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F4SZ6019DA-...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6c78c868#ht_2211wt_1165

New on Ebay for $199.53

Not too bad for a new timing cover.

Last edited:
Back in 2000 I bought the windstar cover for $240 new from Ford, so the prices don't look much worse IMO.

I was disassembling my engine today from my 1994 sc. I got a little too frisky pulling on the timing cover and snapped an ear off. I was told that all 94 and up thunderbird 3.8 covers are the same regardless if it is supercharged or not. Can anyone verify this for me?

Did you miss the allen screw in the back? That was evil on Ford's part.

No. I didn't miss any of the hardware. I tried sliding the timing cover off while the long studs remained in the block. I misjudged how corroded the studs were. They had been so fetched up and tight where they passed through the timing cover that when I began pulling on the cover it would barely move. I then got a bright idea on grabbing my pry bar. I began working the pry bar around from one side to the next and then snap. I shouted a few obscenities then moved the timing cover back in place and grabbed my stud extractor kit. I will say that the one stud was so fetched up that I could feel the stud yielding. I thought for sure the stud would snap off but with much finesse I was able to work it out. Needless to say it was not one of my brighter moments. I was not a happy camper. Hey but now I have a nice new shiny timing cover on the way. LOL.

Back