Losing a bearing in my 94 SC :(

taylorpro

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum but figured there would be no other place to come in regards to questions about the super coupe. The car is 1994 Supercoupe with the automatic. ~170k on it. Alot of money has been put into it in suspension parts, wheels and tires, being re-painted after it was sideswiped, exhaust, etc. The motor, to my knowledge, is the original 3.8, and recently started knocking after a long history of slight noise under boost. My father and I are in the predicament where we are unsure of what do with the car. We'd like to sell the vehicle but arent sure if we should A) leave the motor and sell it as-is to someone who it will appreciate it, or B) put a new bottom end it and make it appeal to the masses as a working vehicle. The car looks great; teal in color, great looking 17" wheels and tires. It's just one of those things. I wasnt sure where to post this since I didn't see a general discussion sub-forum, so please move appropriately if I was mistaken. Anyway, I want to hear you're opinions as to what you would do. Also, if any of you would be interested in something like this, feel free to let me know. I am located in southern Maryland at 20659.

Here is an older, crappier picture of the car I had on my phone. Gloomy clouds don't do much for shine do they??

You are probably going to do better selling it as it sits, than trying to recover the cost of rebuilding the motor and replacing all the usual parts like hoses, belts, plugs, fluids, motor mounts ect..that usually are done with an engine rebuild.

David

Plan C...fix it and keep the car.

It's a great looking car. Looks exactly like the one I just purchased. I paid $3,000 for mine and it was a South Carolina Car with no rust and great paint. It had 134K on the clock and was in need of motor mounts. That said I decided to pull the motor and do a rebuild and freshen everything up. Dave is right. There is so much to do to these engines while they are out. There is a ton of plumbing and there are always things that will be in need of repair while the engine is out.

With a busted motor you'd be lucky to get $1,000 for it. I recommend fixing it by getting a rebuilt engine through XR7 Dave.

Thanks for the feedback all. We have all of the tools and ability to change the motor, rebuild the motor, or what have you. We weren't just sure which route would be most beneficial to us. If we were going to rebuild it, and put the time/money into the fix, we would like to know we'd see a worthwhile increase in values as well. Ideally, if we do pull the motor, we will strip the block, go 10 over on the block, new pistons, rings, bearings, etc. and go back with everything else as stock. But like I said. Thats a few hundred dollars out of pocket we are sticking out on the line for the time being. The car itself, other than the engine, some tears in the upper rear seat back (where the sun hits it and splits the leather at teh seams), and it needing rotors, its in great shape. No rust on the body anywhere, fresh paint, lotsa new parts, etc.

Last edited:
Whatever somebody is willing to pay. $3,500 - $4,000 tops. These cars are not worth a lot.

Whatever somebody is willing to pay. $3,500 - $4,000 tops. These cars are not worth a lot.

That is not real fair by putting a price on a car like that. My car is an 89 and KBB shows it worth alot more and it would take almost double the KBB to buy my car! So they are worth what the buyer and seller agree upon.

i do appreciate the replies guys. i think we are just going to list the car as is for a while while it sits and see if we get any biters. If we can't find someone wanting it how it is, we will drop and engine in and try to put 3500 on it and see what happens. thanks all

Back