Valvetrain noise from new rebuilt motor, Roller Rockers making Noise?

LyncRK

Just got the rebuilt motor in my 94 running last week and there is a whirring noise coming from the valve covers. I don't know if the pushrods are slightly too short or the 1.73 Scorpion roller rockers just make that much noise. When the rockers were installed they were all tight with no play so I thought the pushrods must have been long enough. They don't make any ticking noise or anything just like a meshing gear type sound. I got the comp stage 2 cam from scp with the comp 942 springs. The sound is the same from idle and only gets slightly louder as rpms rise. It runs perfect so are they supposed to be that loud?

I'm not sure, but I would think that if anything, the rollers would be quieter. Are you sure it's not the sc snout?

I think we need a video. What course of action did you take when setting up the valvetrain and what length pushrods are you using? 7.3 is the typical length you need.

chris

Last edited:
I don't think he needs shims as it sounds as if he has little to no preload and will actually need longer pushrods. With a stock cam and Scorpions I needed 7.2, then with an aftermarket cam I needed 7.3.

I realize he probably wouldn't want to add shims. I didn't say to add shims. I just indicated that pedestal style mount scorpions were adjustable via shim.

I realize he probably wouldn't want to add shims. I didn't say to add shims. I just indicated that pedestal style mount scorpions were adjustable via shim.

He may need both ... if the rockers in general call for longer pushrods, but some don't need quite as long as others, then those particular rockers would get shimmed.

I got a pushrod length checker and it measured out to be a little over .050 so I got a set of Lt1 pushrods and now it runs quite and smooth. Those lt1 pushrods fit perfect it drives great now.

Back