1992 SC Revving High

OnThaLow2000

Hi guys,

I own a 1992 SuperCoupe that is revving very high when in idle. I have been afraid to drive it because of this problem. When I put it in drive it does seem to idle as normal but if I come to a stop it idles very low and acts as if it wants to stall.

I have taken out the throttle body and cleaned it thoroughly, that didn't fix the problem:confused: , any input would be greatly appreciated.

hmm...

Alright its probably your IAC valve...I think thats what its called anyways. Its at the top of your intake i think right before your throttle body but im not sure without looking. Its a smaller black objected held on with I do beleive 2 small bolts. Anyways, i beleive it a common problem with these cars. Always see posts about them. You can clean it with carb cleaner but thats only a temporary fix. Best bet is to buy a new one FROM FORDS. The aftermarket ones from Napa, murrays, autozone...Exct...they do not work because they made them to mount on backwards. So you have to get it through fords. I dont' think it was that expensive though. Good luck.

I'll have to give that a try and see. Anyone with any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

IAC

My 94 just went through that and it was the IAC, and the killer is that i was pulling no code from the computer.

High Idle

My 90 was doing the exact same thing. I got a new Idle Air Bypass Valve (IAC) and it cured the problem. Cost was about $94 for the part and gasket(which is not included). The other advise is not to get an aftermarket IAC as they do not work correctly. This was advise from a NAPA salesman.

The Valve is located just in front of the Throttle Position Sensor (TSP) on the Throttle Body, just in case you needed to know.

Back