Stuck caliper, stuck piston, debris in brake line???

rad_al_

My front, passenger side brake locked up twice on me in the last few months. Not bad enough that the car wouldn't move, but bad enough to get really hot in a mile. The first time, I was driving down the road, hadn't used the brakes for a 2 or 3 miles & my car started shaking like the tire was out of balance. Pulled over, the brake/ rotor was smoking. The 2nd time, was in the middle of town, using the brakes at every light & realized it's taking lots of power to get the car to move. Pulled over... smoking brake. I have a rebuild kit but not sure that's the problem. Greasing the sliders won't hurt either. I did notice that after I shut the car off for a few moments & start it again, the brake was fine. Is that weird or what? Any suggestions?
*1994 SC w/ Mark 8 calipers.

Sounds like a partially collapsed brake line is a possibility.

Once you get the wheel off and the caliper loose, it should be pretty obvious if the sliders have gone bad or not. The internals of the caliper and line may be a little harder to diagnose. I suppose you can judge the piston seal by the amount of effort required to push the piston back down. (With the bleeder screw cracked.) You might just want to install the new piston seal and boot while you have the system open, but that's up to you.

I also wonder if the wheel bearing is in good shape. Especially since it was overheated recently. You might want to check that for play before you chase any less obvious causes.

My bet is the rubber brake line going from the frame to the caliper is plugged....

I'll third that remark.

I'd suggest changing to stainless braided hoses right now. Classic makes them, Victor sells them ( http://spinningwheels-sc.com/brakes.aspx ). Use the 1994 SC kit when you order.

Also, use the GM banjo bolt washers (P/N 21012386 , but RockAuto has it classed as a "Torque Converter" as of my typing ... ) when you put it back together instead of the Dorman cheap thin ones.

RwP

Back