Did I just do something really dumb?

Chris Ashford

The stock sound system in my 89XR7 was mostly gone, all that was left was the amp in the rear, so I foolishly(maybe) cut the whole panel out. Now the stupid part, after cutting the harness, I noticed 1 module is for ride control and 1 for ABS. I don't care about either, I'm installing non- ARC shocks and old enough to not care about ABS. Is there anything I have to worry about?
BTW, assuming I don't have to splice anything back in, if anybody has any use for the components, (ride control, ABS or JBL amp) just let me know. No clue of their working condition so price is $0.00 each

You might want to start the car and make sure everything is working. I don't know if you F'ed up or not. I'm assuming the battery was still hooked up, so you might have shorted something else out. Electrical systems can get tricky.

Thanks, was the first thing I did, I'm stupid not nuts:)
I've know everything on that package shelf and you should be fine. Be aware, the ride control module also controls your speed sensitive steering too, so you won't have that either. From the sounds of it, you probably won't miss it.

If you r worried about hot wires you can trace those harnesses, one goes up each side of the car under the carpet to plugs in the kick panel area. Just unplug 'em there, save you about 20 lbs, take that in for scrap and get a twelvepack:D

I pulled all that stuff the first time my interior was out.
Adam

I've know everything on that package shelf and you should be fine. Be aware, the ride control module also controls your speed sensitive steering too, so you won't have that either. From the sounds of it, you probably won't miss it.

Well you are right, can't miss what I never had. The speed sensitive steering was already messed up, long sweeping off-ramps are a pain and limited steering input is a bitch. Is there anyway to delete that feature? I don't care about extra effort at low speeds, but it would be nice to have some upper end feedback. Should note that I am new to these cars, rescued this one from long slumber in a barn, just getting to the love/hate stage with it.

The speed sensitive steering was already messed up, long sweeping off-ramps are a pain and limited steering input is a bitch. ....

Are you saying that something is limiting your steering input? All the speed-sensitive steering does is reduce the amount of assist at high speeds. How would you describe what you have now?

The variable speed steering reduces pump power input at higher speeds. Mine has not functioned properly since I bought the car, so even at highway speeds you get full power steering assist making the steering very light with little if any feedback. was just wondering if it is possible to 'restrict' the power steering input at all speeds. This would make the steering 'heavy' for parking but provide better feedback at higher speeds.

Ok then. First, check to make sure that the steering wheel sensor on the column is plugged in and not obviously broken. (In the driver's side footwell.) Then make sure that the connector at the pump is plugged in and also not broken.

If nothing obvious turns up there, what you may have is a fault that is more involved than you want to get into.

If that is the case, then you are stuck at full power assist. From there, you can go one of two routes:

You can try to adapt a special race pump like this:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=514_3_10

Or you can swap to a manual rack & pinion.

Both are pretty involved.

One thing not to do is to try bypassing the PS pump and using the current rack and pinion unboosted. That will not be good, and I know from experience.

Back