shifter stuck

wesley89sc

i was driving along and i stop at a red light and shift to neutral when i go to shift to firstthe shifter gets jammed between 1st and 2nd but it is not fully in neutral prior to this i was driving with all of the synchros broken any ideas as to what the problem could be

Well you may have said it yourself. You were driving with all broken synchros right? It's possible that doing that may have messed something else up, perhaps jamming the shift mechanism inside the tranny. Personally, I know next to nothing about the 5 speed since I'm still a newer SC owner, so hopefully someone else will chime in soon to help.

If you're ambitious, tear the sucker apart :D

-Chris

Shift into second or third then to first. When you rebuild the trany, rebuild the shifter as well because they get sloppy after this many years.

i did

i cant shift it into any gear it is completely stuck it is in the position of neutral between 1st and 2nd but it acts like it is in a high gear

Maybe its your clutch/throwout bearing. Have you tried to get your rear wheels off the ground (safely), start the car to see if the wheels are turning. Push in on the clutch, brake, then see if you can shift it out or into other gears. You need to find out whether it is the trany, clutch, or the shifter. good luck

drove

well i can drive it if i ease off of the clutch it will drive as if it is in a high gear but that burns alot of clutch to do that it is either the shifter or the tranny i don't know i was wonderin if someone could help me figure out what i should do to fix it does the tranny need to be dropped for sure and what is causing this prior to it doing this it would get stuck and if i wiggled it it would come loose but this time it got stuck and i couldn't get it unstuck

Having rebuilt one it sounds like the synchro sleeve is jammed on the damaged blocker ring. You'll have to pull the trans and open it up to get it freed. When you get it pulled you can ship it to Southern Gear, they'll rebuild it for $150 plus parts. The basic kit is $330 but it could easily escalate if any of the gears are damaged.

shifter

It only cost about $50. to rebuild the shifter but if your problem is more serious then Mikes' idea may be your next step.

I'm getting ready to rebuild my spare trans. I ordered the fiber blockers from Ford today. If you want to try to rebuild it yourself I can help you thru it. It's not that hard if you're handy with tools and know your way around mechanically. I wrote a step by step article for Charging Thunder last year and am writing a sequel now for the last issue in December.

found problem

well i pulled the tranny and it looks like the problem is the little metal pieces that center the synchros they are falling out. The synchros don't actually look that bad but i need to know what i need to buy to get those little metal pieces as that is the problem. One was jamming the slider up when it was coming out. do those come with the synchros?

If they are brass pieces, those are the blocker rings. They help the synchros match the gears in speed. You better take it apart and check each piece as you go. It would be good to get a copy of my CT article from last year if you've never done an M5R2 before. Get some ziplock bags to keep the parts in order and organized as you go. Southern Gear has a kit for $330 with blockers, thrust bearing, seals and shims. It really isn't that hard to do.

alright it is in pieces now and are those little silver dog shaped pieces the blockers are they brass a i thought stock were fiber what are they supposed to look like

The blockers go between the gears and the synchronizers which are the gears with the sliding rings over them. They are brass colored metal, teeth around the outer edge with a brown coating on the inner side which is the fiber. There a total of 6 blockers, one for each gear and reverse. Look at the blowup diagram in the Haynes manual.

synchronizer hub inserts

what is broken on mine is called the synchronizer hub inserts. there is a total of nine and they insert on the synchronizers. they were shedding because of to much play in the sizes they became wallowed out. The notch it sits in and they were shifting around and even falling out i need to get these as well do these kits come with them and do you know what i am talking about.

Yeah, Ok. I had to replace one of mine the 1st time my friend and I rebuilt my trans. Southern Gear has all those parts. It's easy to drop a lot of money into one of these in new parts. I'm starting on rebuilding my spare this week.

but do they come with the kit or not after inspecting everything those and the synchros are all that need to be replaced i don't need the bearings i could use gasket maker for the gaskets i might need the seals but thats it could i buy these parts individually

The synchro assembly parts are not part of the kit but they are available. These guys at Southern Gear know this transmission but be sure they know it's for an SC and not the truck since some of the parts are different. Be careful swapping the synchro sleeves and hubs as it's a pain to realign the little keys and springs and slide the sleeve back on. My mechanic friend showed me how to line them up together and slide the sleeve over the new hub or vice versa so nothing falls apart.

Back