How far back does the tourque convertor slide?

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
When i went to turn my engine over to tighten tc bolts i couldnt get my engine to turn over! if i loosend the bellhousng bolts it would turn. Anyway couldnt figure out exactly why so i pulled the damn engine back out again. Seems that my tourque convertor wasnt slid back all the way i think it had slid forward in the 3 years + the car has been sitting. What i need to know is a distance from the bellhousing to the tourque covertor studs or mounting pads so i know if its fully seated or not. Also when i pulled the TC i was able to slide the small nput shaft OUT of my tranny! is this normal? i stuck it back in and made sure it engaged but i figured it had a clip or somthing on the other end of it? Also could my screw up have dammaged the Pump?

As youre seating the TC, you will usually feel 2 distinct clunks as you spin it around. Then its set. From the side, you shouldnt be able to see the studs which will be about 1/4" below the edge. If not... keep on spinning it and pushing slightly. It will eventually set.

Last edited:
Another check

You shouldn't be able to get more than your finger tips between the TC and Bell housing, on the back side, if you can it needs to go in further. That is of course unless you have stick fingers :rolleyes:

Smitty

I would at least pull the converter out and look down in there to make sure there's no broken pieces. I've seen it happen before where pinching it against the flywheel caused the converter to break the pump rotor that it's supposed to ride on.

Back