Cam Position Sensor

HelluvaEngineer

I'm hoping to change mine this weekend and also change plugs. I read the factory service manual, and find almost no useful info on this. Which parts do I remove to get down to the sensor? Also, is there some kind of gotcha with the cam gear - IE can I do this without a special tool?

TIA, HE

Thanks. That picture is a huge help. Mine is a 1990, so I'll assume the location is the same unless someone says differently. I didn't realize it was near the water pump.

Thanks. That picture is a huge help. Mine is a 1990, so I'll assume the location is the same unless someone says differently. I didn't realize it was near the water pump.

Yes, all years are in the same location.

If you were doing a cam swap or changing the timing chain you would have to remove the entire sensor syncro stalk and deal with resetting it to a specific position when putting it back in, but changing the sensor doesn't require doing anything but removing and reinstalling two screws.

David

This sensor can be done without removing anything at all (except the screws that hold it on). Doing it with a cool engine is a must though. You'll be rubbing up against the top end radiator hose when you do it. Make sure you check the wire harness while you're down there. The coating and jacketing on mine was REALLY brittle. I took the time to re-loom it and tape it. If you don't tuck it back in carefully it could rub on the nearest belt.

GLHF

Back