TOAST! with video links

joshpowell16

Sad day for me today. After cruising the highway at 95mph for 30 miles I stopped for some McDonald's. As I pulled out of the parking lot I heard some knocking. I drove another 100 ft then the car shuddered n died. I pulled into a parking lot and started the car. To my surprise it started...with a bad rod knock.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=djElw5giws8 here's the motor

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M7kJ6TeG-c4. Still got balls.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5gr8r3vkdR4 here's the exhaust fresh 2 days ago.

Don,t fret try 20-50 wt with some lukas

Oil additive ..;. See if the knock stops rev it slowly see what rpm it comes back at then stay below that...you can drive for a long time if you don,t push it....start saving some money for a rebuild.....you still can drive if you are not on it :d

maybe

But idrc cause its getting a full rebuild at Modern Muscle in Oswego, IL. They do custom ground cam n full race work. So ill have it kicked up a notch. Right now it still runs and drives just has a nice knock to it. Only here the knock at 1,500 rpms or higher. Not at idle.

Pull the plug wire on the cylinder with the rod knock. You won't hear it at all. :cool: oh and pull the the connector off the injector too.

Last edited:
info

ok just my 02 cents here but

i know you are rebuilding it but

if you keep doing this..... the crank will be trashed assuming that is a rod... now if it gets loose from the crank it could kick it out on the side of the block with a nice hole ....:rolleyes:

now i have hear this noise before and it wasn't a rod at the crank .... it was in the piston pin and by rev with this issue the cylinder wall it will be mess up really bad....

now if you have a source for an other sc engine then keep doing it ...:p until blows up..... but if your are thinking in use the same engine then may be tooo late too....:rolleyes: but just mey 02 cents here....;)

if you keep doing this..... the crank will be trashed assuming that is a rod... now if it gets loose from the crank it could kick it out on the side of the block with a nice hole ....:rolleyes:

now i have hear this noise before and it wasn't a rod at the crank .... it was in the piston pin and by rev with this issue the cylinder wall it will be mess up really bad....

now if you have a source for an other sc engine then keep doing it ...:p until blows up..... but if your are thinking in use the same engine then may be tooo late too....:rolleyes: but just mey 02 cents here....;)

Well said. I am also thinking that if the rod bearing and/or piston pin get loose enough, he might get to enjoy the wonders of piston-to-valve contact. That would be fun. :p

I tried the trick with heavier oil....got me know where but a locked motor. Worked great until the oil pressure skyrocketed when throttling and bombed when idleing. Lasted 2 miles then locked up cruising at 1,500 rpms. Didn't go through the block....but its done.

Anybody want a parts car? $800? Text me 8156300313

Back