Options

joshpowell16

So as some of you are aware I've developed a rod knock in my 1990 SC. I have some ideas rolling around n just wanted some input.

I've always loved the 5.0 HO, v8s in general. I want to stuff one in my SC. What's the pros n cons?

I'd love to keep the v6 SC but I see a lot with blown motors. Not really interested in rebuilding the motor multiple times.

So..I'm sure I can find most the answers in here. I just want opinions.

Like :

What trans to go with?

302 or 302 HO?

4.6l?

EFI or carbureted?

Will my stock struts handle a V8? I know most cases it wont.

Will my stock driveshaft fit or will it depend on which motor and trans I pick?

I love the car and would like to keep it out of the scrap yard. Cheap is best. Which is looking to be a V8 swap. I'm not buying a used V6 SC. Rebuild or reman cost $2000. I can get a motor and transfer combo from a parts yard for $200 motor, $75 trans, $100 if they pull, and $0 if I do.

So v8 swap I'm looking at $275 - $375. Assuming I go carbureted and don't need bigger struts.

Any and all info greatly appreciated
josh

If you want to know the pro's and con's, contact Dahoopd. He's been there, done that. And after talking to him on the phone, he wants his SC 3.8 back. But that was my impression by the way he talked.

I hope this helps.

The swap isn't too hard. The 5.0 was optional up to 1993 and is almost identical to the 94-95 mustang gt 5.0. It will bolt right up to the aod transmission. Assuming you can get an engine harness it shouldn't be too bad of a swap. I would absolutely steer clear of carburetion but that is just me. The radiator is different. The struts would be fine and I'll bet the springs would most likely be ok. I know the 5.0 is heavier than the 3.8 but the sc has lots of plumbing so the weight may be a wash. The engine mounts are different but available.

My only question is why ditch the 3.8? They have proven to be very reliable if treated well and properly maintained. I have had great luck with my sc's and all were driven hard. Hell I even had one that I used to let bounce of the rev limiter while doing hole shots (yes I know this was stupid).

I don't think a 5.0 is any more reliable than a 3.8 SC at the same power level. Don't forget that you will have to pussyfoot around with swapping the computer, injector, engine wiring harness, and so forth if you swap engines. I would stick with what you have or buy a used 3.8 SC motor and stash the old one for later rebuild.

The only downside I see to the 3.8 SC is the cost of the supercharger itself. If yours is okay, I wouldn't worry about it.

Fuel injected 5.0 is way more work than you want to get into. I can pretty much guarantee that it won't work right, will cost a lot of money you didn't anticipate, and is about 99% a recipe for an SC that never runs/drives again.

Forget that.

If you want to go carburated then it is easy but make sure you get the 5.0 from a T-bird. Otherwise exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, and other minor things will turn into major headaches. Just be aware that it will never pass emissions and you will inherit all the long forgotten carburetor type headaches. Plus it will be significantly slower than your SC was.

I've done plenty of swaps, and a 5.0 5spd swap is/was fun but it wasn't particularly fast and it was a lot more work than you think (I did it with factory FI in tact).

Yes the 5.0 is reliable but it's also slow in a big heavy car. The 3.8L isn't unreliable at all, it's just that it's really easy to abuse a supercharged motor. If you supercharge the 5.0 you end up with just as many problems as the 3.8L SC engine, possibly more.

Drop a big block in it. There is an excellent thread in the forums by Pro Street Rich. If I was going to swap out a diffrent engine than my SC 3.8 I would not go with something that would end up less than what I had:rolleyes: I would seriously look at a BB Ford. And you got guys here that will walk you through it all. Seems like a good idea to me;)

Ken

Back