Can anyone tell me what driveshaft I have?

Tony8470

It's a manual transmission/yoke that I got off ebay when I did the auto to 5spd swap in my last car. The current car came with a 5spd and I wanted to keep the ebay transmission, since I had it rebuilt. So I replaced it. But the stock yoke wouldn't go into the ebay transmission. It has it's own paired, unique yoke.

DD said he's never seen anything like it.

I have some bad vibrations that I'm pretty sure is the driveshaft, but I cant feel any click when I rotate it back and forth. There is a rubber isolator on the yoke that I would like to replace, since that could be an issue.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

There is a missing spline at the bottom of this picture, not sure why.
IMG_0159.jpg

The yoke is 6 1/8" long
IMG_0158.jpg

I was thinking of possibly going aluminum, but since the yoke is unique I may just try replacing the u-joints. Which, I hope are the same size as stock.

Last edited:
That is a driveshaft out of a Mark7, and the yoke is for an AOD, not an M5R2. That rear joint is called a double cardan joint, and was supposed to reduce vibration, but eventually when the rubber fails they just cause more problems.

The supercoupe drive shafts lengths follow along with some pictures. Not sure if it helps you but just some FYI for anyone looking.

89-95 5spds: 53 1/2"
89-93 AOD: 57 7/8"
94-95 4R70W: 57"

P8150023.jpg

<br>
<br>
Left to Right ----> M5R2 \\ 4R70W \\ AOD
P8150042.jpg

Last edited:
Are you looking for a stock 5-speed driveshaft? You can have the one in my garage, if you want to come and get it.

I've found that I can only get the real 5spd yoke half way into the output shaft. That eBay yoke only has the splines going half way up inside of it. There is something inside there that the non splined portion sleeves upon. The only solution I can think of is getting the real 5psd yoke machined out so it can sleeve over whatever is in there.

Doug I'll keep that in mind. If this doesn't work out. I'll have a ruined yoke, and may have to put the original transmission in to solve the vibrating driveshaft.

Last edited:
I found the yoke was twisted after taking it off and cleaning it. This worries me since the car isn't a big HP machine. You can see half way up untill the splines come straight again. So, it's half twisted spline, half straight.

I also found that I'm probably going to have to cut 1.44" off the stock yoke to get it to fit. It does feel beefier, but that could be the sleeve on the twisted yoke decieving me. That sleeve is about 2.6" long if I remember my measurements right.

I'm going to take both to the machinist to get the stock one cut down. Does anyone see negative consequences arising from cutting it?

IMG_0163.jpg

I ended up cutting the yoke.

IMG_0166.jpg

I figure if it breaks, then that will be the time I dive into the T56 swap.

Back