My power seat problem and fix.

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
Many people of had power seat issues, but I've never seen this problem posted so I thought I'd share what I found. My driver's seat stuck in the full back position (not good unless you are Micah or Anthony). Usually this seems to be a dirty or gummed-up track issue. When trying the switch, I could hear a click when trying to go back, but not when trying to go forward.

I removed the seat from the car to gain access to the switch, no small task as the rear mounting nuts were blocked by the seat tracks. Anyway, I took the switch out and checked the continuity of all of the terminals of the switch....everything rang out just fine. Remembering a similar problem I had with my moon roof switch, where the switch checked fine, but would not function when power was applied to the switch. So I swapped the two wires for the front and back pins on the switch, and sure enough, the seat moved forward. I decided to get a switch out of one of my XR7s that I haven't even opened in more than 5 years....popped in the replacement switch and everything works fine.

Kurt

Are you saying the wires were reversed? I've been meaning to take my seats out to fix the same problem, no easy task as they are very heavy. I remember on the last car that the tracks just needed lubricated.

Kurt

Are you saying the wires were reversed? I've been meaning to take my seats out to fix the same problem, no easy task as they are very heavy. I remember on the last car that the tracks just needed lubricated.
No, I reversed the wires on purpose so I could verify that the seat would still move forward.

I will try to take some pictures showing what I did with the old switch.

OK, I finally took a horrible looking picture with my cell phone. Anyway, if your seat only moves in one direction and you want to check to see if the switch is bad, you need to swap the wires that are circled in the attached picture. This is easily accomplished with a small screwdriver to gently bend the part of the connector that clicks into the switch base.

Attachments

• power-seat-switch-1.JPG
    power-seat-switch-1.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 137
Back