power steering

tmz93sc

my 93 sc is leaking power steering fluid . added some lucas power steering stop leak . and still leaks but not as much . it has 104500 on origanal pump . time for a new one? also my brake light stays on while im driving . brake fluid is fine any ideas?

Accumlator on the ABS unit

Check the power steering lines before writing hte pump off. The return lines leak often at the base of the pump.

victor at spinning wheels has the accumaltor ball for 125.00 do you know if that is for any year sc

just talked to bill at sc performance . the 93 doesnt have a accumaltor can anybody chime in on this ?

i talked to diane at spinning wheels and was told that the 93 does have the acc. ball. i went ahead and ordered one from them :confused:

i dont think i explained my problem correctly when i started this post my brake light stays on when im driving but it is very dim. it will illuminate when i apply the emergency brake. the brakes feel fine no hard pedal . i was wondering if a loose brake cable would cause this:confused:

The red brake light should only go on for a few things. First, if your fluid is low. Second, if your parking brake is on. Anything else? I don't know.

If it is coming on dimly, I wonder if it is just an electrical problem in the indicator circuit.

I would suggest that you try to isolate which part of the circuit is turning on the light dimly. I guess the parking brake sensor must be inside the console? Maybe either unplug the connector or short the wires (depending on how it operates) to simulate the hand-brake being off, and see if the light goes out. Then do the same with the low brake-fluid sensor, and see if the light goes out. If neither of those fixes the problem, maybe you have a chafed wire somewhere. Or maybe something else could be turning it on, but I don't know what.

I think you may have to return that accumulator ball, as I think that the 1993 Thunderbird had moved to the more recent Teves Mark IV ABS system. Easy way to check - if you look at your brake master cylinder, is it attached to a typical brake booster (flat plastic can against the firewall)? Or does it have a black grenade-like object just inboard and below it? If you don't see a grenade-like thing, you don't need the accumulator ball.

Diane at Spinning Wheels is very nice and helpful. I don't think she would try to mislead you. She may just have been confused.

is the low brake fluid sensor on the reservoir ? and yes victor and diane are very nice and helpful. i have ordered numerous things for my sc from them .

i took off the low brake fluid sensor sprayed some wd40 was real dirty and gummed up. light went off plugged it back in same problem .is taking the console off a pain so i can get to the parking brake sensor?

If the light went out while that sensor was unplugged then I would say the issue is not in your e-brake sensor. You probably need another brake fluid level sensor.

If the light went out while that sensor was unplugged then I would say the issue is not in your e-brake sensor. You probably need another brake fluid level sensor.

Ahem. Checking the EVTM shows that the Ebrake switch is wired through the low fluid switch. Sorry,, but it's time to pull the console.

i took off the low brake fluid sensor sprayed some wd40 was real dirty and gummed up. light went off plugged it back in same problem .is taking the console off a pain so i can get to the parking brake sensor?

Hmm, so the light went off when the low brake fluid sensor was unplugged? I would think that might mean the fluid sensor is the problem. But I am not 100% sure of how the circuit works on that year.

Here's an idea. If you unplug the fluid level sensor and pull up the handbrake, does the light come back on? If so, then it shows that the handbrake sensor is probably fine. If that is the case, then I would look again at the fluid sensor, the place where it mounts in the MC reservoir, and the fluid level itself.

If that is NOT the case and the light stays out with the handbrake pulled, then I guess you will have to pull the console and check that. It's not a terrible pain ... just a minor one. Be careful so you don't crack any plastic!!!

unplugged the fluid level sensor applied handbrake light stays off . i guess i have to take off the console can anybody get me started on how to do this thanks

Well, you have to take off the console lid and hinges, then the black plastic box inside. There are some screws around the edge, and one or two at the very bottom, inside it. You also need to take off the shifter handle. For that, you push the button in HARD and pull up slowly, but HARD. Try not to punch yourself when it lets go! Then pull the ashtray out.

Now, after that, I forget exactly what needs to happen. I think that you can take the black top piece off now. It will obviously need to slide back to clear the dash. Don't force anything, though, just in case there are any screws I missed.

Back