Oil Gauge questions

Bluntz

1995 Body, 90 motor, 3.8 sc

As i am driving the oil gauge on the right side of instrument panel barely goes onto the letter N. Sometimes it doesnt touch the N at all. Is this normal? What should the setting be? If it isnt right then what do i need to do to repair?
Thx in advance.

The gauge in our cars is really an idiot light. That said you can try a new sending switch (located by the oil pump and filter). If that doesn't work you can check your actual pressure by hooking up a temporary mechanical gauge. If it checks out then it is most likely the gauge and I wouldn't worry too much.

I'd spend the money on a real gauge. Mine moves all over the place. I believe it's just hooked up to a sender that has continuity if you have 7psi or something like that.

This and your water temp are related. Clean the wires, check them make sure they are not cut or bad in some way on both sendors. Tap the dash by each gauge and see if they read differently while the car is running and is warmed up.

i have been battling this for a couple of years,changed the sending unit a couple of times,hooked up a mechanical guage had great pressure,hooked factory guage back up very low pressure.Got pissed and hit the guage lexan cover and all of a sudden worked like new.Got another guage out of a parts car and really did about the same as the other guage.Its agitating because in my 95 a light comes on that says check guages.I wonder if you do this conversion if the light will stay off.If it will i am all over this conversion for sure.damn good idea.

do you think the check guages light will stay on after you change the sending unit and do away with the resistor?

You may want to put a mechanical gauge on that line first, and see what pressure you're actually GETTING.

If you have good pressure ( elsewhere there's math on how many PSI per 1,000 RPM with X oil - or maybe on TCCoA - or maybe on BobtheOilGuy.COM - somewhere! ) and if it then keeps acting up, I'd look hard at the anti-slosh board first.

RwP

1995 Body, 90 motor, 3.8 sc

As i am driving the oil gauge on the right side of instrument panel barely goes onto the letter N. Sometimes it doesnt touch the N at all. Is this normal? What should the setting be? If it isnt right then what do i need to do to repair?
Thx in advance.

The connection at the sender is probably loose. Just remove the sender wire and squeeze lightly with pliers and reinstall for a tighter fit.

David

Back