valve covers question

gangaskan

i was replacing the left gasket because i know it was spewing oil onto the exhaust manifold.

i pulled it off and i noticed it got over torqued, or warped. there is a nice crack on the bolt area closest to the firewall on the bottom

where can i source new covers? i was reading the 92-93 covers were the ones to get because they're not aluminum and not prone to warping correct?

i'd like to do the driverside gasket too while i have everything off, i have the charger, upper IC tube off, but i cant get the lower off. is there some trick to this one?

edit: oh, and i somehow lost one of the cover bolts, cant for the life of me find it, what thread size is it?

If you are talking the lower IC tube there is a nut that needs removed down by the power steering pump. Then the tube slides towards the fender to get off the bolt.

The valve covers I just use what is available. 93 had the different ones. As for the valve cover you have, maybe a washer under the bolt and a longer bolt would do the trick? Hard to tell without pics.

I dont remember the bolt size and or pitch.

Last edited:
If you are talking the lower IC tube there is a nut that needs removed down by the power steering pump. Then the tube slides towards the fender to get off the bolt.

The valve covers I just use what is available. 93 had the different ones. As for the valve cover you have, maybe a washer under the bolt and a longer bolt would do the trick? Hard to tell without pics.

I dont remember the bolt size and or pitch.

the one that goes down towards the bottom of the IC, so would that be the "upper" tube if you're looking at the charger?

That one has a stud/nut attaching it to the Alt/Power steering bracket, there is also a bolt on the bottom that bolts to a bracket on the engine block.

thanks, i'll have to check that out after work. they're tricky suckers to get out!

Back