PDA

View Full Version : First ever run at the track.

XR7 Phillip
05-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Last Wednesday my dad and I both took our cars to the track. This was the first time I had ever taken my car to the track, in fact, it was the first time I had ever gone down the strip. I had lots of fun and I can't to get back out there.

Overall, this trip was more of a learning experience to familiarize myself with the staging, lights, run, etc....

All in all, the best I managed on that night was 15.03 @ 94.26mph. I don't really have any "excuses" as to why it's so slow, I just need more practice, especially in my launch. The 2.26 60' isn't impressive... :o Wait, here's one excuse...I was running on street tires...:rolleyes:

On another note, I did manage to get my dad to datalog one run. With my puny stock intercooler (don't worry, I have plans to upgrade...) we were seeing +180 ACT, so there's more power to be had there later on....

Kevin Leitem
05-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Very cool, Congrats on your first run. Don't worry about slow times. I would feel sorry for anybody that had their best run their first time. Every time after would be a dissapointment. I hope you had a lot of fun, the drag strip is my favorite place.

BLOWN38
05-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Pretty good Phil. Not sure what mods you got but the 60' looks about what most people get on street tires.

neverfastenough
05-26-2012, 11:05 PM
What kevin said! Once you get it going quicker and quicker youll start getting those good thrills! my best 60ft back in the day was 1.8 at 2008 shootout. up until last year my norm was a 1.9. Then me and kevin went to the track and I pulled off a 1.6 and oh baby did it feel good. And thats really not that impressive. Wait until your first bias ply wiggle!:D

XR7 Phillip
05-26-2012, 11:18 PM
On my best launch, there was a little bit of tire spin and little bit of wheel hop, but the chassis bracing seems to be doing it's job.

jludorf
05-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Phil,
My first runs were quite a bit slower. Practice will help alot. Next time out you should use the tires in the trunk of my car.

John

DrFishbone
05-27-2012, 09:41 AM
+1 on what Kevin said - getting better times later makes the whole experience even more fun!

So Philip, are you going to be racing at the shootout this year? Somebody's gotta repasent the Dalke family! :p

Miller
05-27-2012, 09:49 AM
my first run was like a 14.5 and after a few trips it got down to 12.7 without adding any more parts to the car except the DRIVER MOD

ALS35
05-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Don't worry about your times, Phil. The third time in my life that I was at a drag strip (racing) was at the 2010 Shootout. Walked away with the covetted jacket. The most important thing to remember is to have fun. Oh, and if it breaks, that is a perfect excuse to build it stronger, bigger, badder!
Alan
P.S. Take John up on the offer to use his tires!

XR7 Phillip
05-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Phil,
Next time out you should use the tires in the trunk of my car.

John

Thanks John. I'll probably take you up on that offer. However, we probably won't make it back to the track until after Power Tour. Can't wait. :)

Yes, I do plan on racing at the Shootout.

91BLOWNBIRD
05-29-2012, 07:12 PM
that is almost exactly what I ran on my first run with my SC with just intake, exhaust, and pulley

I just look at the MPH when you arent using drag tires...94 is not bad

mywhite89
05-29-2012, 07:15 PM
glad you made it out to the strip. Thing I learned on street tires is to launch as hard as you can without spinning. You would be amazed how much it slows you down when you spin the tires. My car pretty much requires et streets to get a suitable time for the power, but I have big wheel hop problems also. Getting rid of that may be my only modification this year so I can run a little better. You definitely don't want to wheel hop with slicks, or you can kiss that precious M5R2 goodbye like I did a couple 3-4 years ago at the shootout.

chris

old_coot
05-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Did I read that first post right???? Dave actually took HIS car to the track...I'm speechless....Good to see you are having some fun Phillip.....Dan

SCrazy
05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Way to go Phillip...doesn't matter how quick you run....every pass is a blast!!!

XR7 Dave
05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Did I read that first post right???? Dave actually took HIS car to the track...I'm speechless....Good to see you are having some fun Phillip.....Dan

Ya funny. :p We actually lined up in eliminations. No "gimmies" in this family, dad took him out (that was me in the other lane).

David Neibert
05-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Phil,

Don't feel bad about a 15.0 @ 94 mph....my first time to the track was a best of 15.0 @ 89, and Kurt K. ran a 14.0 that same night. BTW, your reaction time was also a lot better than mine.

Now that you have went, you are going to get motivated to mod the car and go again, then make more improvements and go again...and on and on. It will also be fun the first time you beat your Dad on the Reaction Time.

David