Possible to lower driver-side wiper post?

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
Is it possible to lower the wiper arm pivot an 1/8"? I'm wanting to remove the 3 washers underneath each hinge bolt to get my aftermarket hood to clear my wiper arms. At this point, the only thing keeping me from doing this is less than 1/8" interference between the wiper and the hood.

Is it possible to slightly lower the driver-side wiper arm pivot post?

I'd be interested in doing this too. Even with a bunch of gringing on that area of my hood, it still rubs the driver's side wiper arm slightly.

David

I think you could do it by milling down the post. But you would be putting additional tension on the wiper arm. I don't know if it would be enough to make the wipe pattern goofy.

I think you could do it by milling down the post. But you would be putting additional tension on the wiper arm. I don't know if it would be enough to make the wipe pattern goofy.
Well, I don't think it should be milled down because of the way the arm attaches to it. Doesn't the clip that is used to removed the arm, go under the post when the arm is installed? If the post was thinner, I think the arm could still raise up to it's original position.

Hi Kurt. this is my first time/post on sccoa for few a years. I
havent had internet service, until this past week

I removed my wipers. Then I apply Rain-x to the winsheild.

Randy B.

Hi Kurt. this is my first time/post on sccoa for few a years. I
havent had internet service, until this past week

I removed my wipers. Then I apply Rain-x to the winsheild.

Randy B.
Well, I know that is an option, but I do still get my car inspected and they check the wipers every time. I know ways around it, but thought I'd keep the car legal.

Welcome back.

Yes you can, there is a little block that you can remove within the teeth of the arm and the gear that come out of the cowl. Its there to guide you back to the propper spot if you were to remove the wiper arm. The little block can be removed and just reposition the arm. Make sure it clicks into the teeth dont force it. The arms are aluminum and the teeth on the arms can get damaged easily.

Well, I don't think it should be milled down because of the way the arm attaches to it. Doesn't the clip that is used to removed the arm, go under the post when the arm is installed? If the post was thinner, I think the arm could still raise up to it's original position.

I forgot about the locking clip. I guess you could try to figure out a shim between the locking clip and the bottom of the gear. Or you might be able to press the gear further down the shaft. I am not sure if that would cause anything to bind. Sorry.

Yes you can, there is a little block that you can remove within the teeth of the arm and the gear that come out of the cowl. Its there to guide you back to the propper spot if you were to remove the wiper arm. The little block can be removed and just reposition the arm. Make sure it clicks into the teeth dont force it. The arms are aluminum and the teeth on the arms can get damaged easily.

He wants to lower the arm to the glass not reclock the arm. Mine rubs too on my 95 hood. Although on the 96 hood I have now they where able to grind it down enough so the arm clears.

Back