PDA

View Full Version : Pretty sure I broke the clutch today

Mercutio
05-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I was pulling out of a gas station, got on it a little bit, and heard something bad on the 1-2 shift. The clutch pedal immediately seemed lower, the first half of the pedal travel did almost nothing, and overall pedal effort was dramatically reduced.

In retrospect, I should have known this was coming. For a while now the car had been shuddering a bit in reverse. I had thought that maybe something in the suspension was loose, but I never found anything.

The car was obviously hurt, but as long as it was moving, I could shift it. Leaving a stoplight, though, was next to impossible--the car shook, rattled, and sounded awful until the clutch was fully engaged. And to get that to happen, I had to give it a lot of gas, and slip the clutch very gently.

So I'm all but certain I've killed the clutch. I haven't had a chance to drop the trans yet, but is there anything else I should look for? Anything else I should replace while I'm in there?

There's no fluid leaking anywhere, and that's the only obvious sign I could look for outside the transmission.

The dead clutch is a Centerforce, and that's what I'll put back in it, assuming that's the problem. But I can only find an application for the 89-93 cars--will that fit the 94-95 as well?

renello79
05-30-2012, 12:42 AM
It will work but I would go with the spec instead, the spec has better reviews. The spec is available through Supercoupeperformance.com and change your slave cylinder while you are in there rear main on the motor if leaky the front seal on the trans if leaky and if you didn't put in a ripper shifter yet then definitely a worthy upgrade as well.

Mercutio
05-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Thanks, but based on DD's recommendation, I'll stick with the Centerforce.

Anyone have advice on the best way to remove the transmission? Any tricks to it?

renello79
05-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Remove the exhaust shift the diff back or drop the tank and out she comes. And just so you know I am running a spec stage 2 clutch, and this is my daily driver, and I have no regrets. I actually like it more than the center force that was in it when I bought the car.

BirdofPrey97
05-30-2012, 08:58 AM
If you have a long extension close to 3ft with a 1/2 impact end and a 3/8 socket end it is nice for this job.

Getting the trans line out is the hardest part in this swap. I have a spec 2 in the 91 and a Dual Friction Centerforce in the 89. I prefer the centerforce.

mywhite89
05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
another no to the spec clutch. I had a spec 2, pedal was very hard. Tough to drive around every day and especially to launch at the track. I never could get used to it. I liked it at first too though, until I snapped my input shaft with a hard shift into 3rd, and I partially blame it for grenading my transmission when launching at the track, that and wheel hop didn't help.

chris

90blkbrd
05-30-2012, 10:25 AM
I was pulling out of a gas station, got on it a little bit, and heard something bad on the 1-2 shift. The clutch pedal immediately seemed lower, the first half of the pedal travel did almost nothing, and overall pedal effort was dramatically reduced.

In retrospect, I should have known this was coming. For a while now the car had been shuddering a bit in reverse. I had thought that maybe something in the suspension was loose, but I never found anything.

The car was obviously hurt, but as long as it was moving, I could shift it. Leaving a stoplight, though, was next to impossible--the car shook, rattled, and sounded awful until the clutch was fully engaged. And to get that to happen, I had to give it a lot of gas, and slip the clutch very gently.

So I'm all but certain I've killed the clutch. I haven't had a chance to drop the trans yet, but is there anything else I should look for? Anything else I should replace while I'm in there?

There's no fluid leaking anywhere, and that's the only obvious sign I could look for outside the transmission.

The dead clutch is a Centerforce, and that's what I'll put back in it, assuming that's the problem. But I can only find an application for the 89-93 cars--will that fit the 94-95 as well?

I'm betting you have the 89-93 clutch in it now. That clutch works with both flywheels. Pull the view plug on the transmission and shine a light up in there. If it's the clutch I'm betting the disk delaminated and some of that material would be laying at the bottom of the bell housing.

I have no experience with any other clutch type but I wouldn't put anything else in a SC but a Centerforce DF and I've even had to replace one due to one delaminating. (long story but not the clutches fault)

Mercutio
05-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Anyone know a good way to brace the engine in place with the trans out of the car? I may have to get the car back on the ground and rolling with the trans out if the problem is more than just the clutch disc.

shoalcracker
05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Will

Honestly don't know if there's enough room, but maybe a creeper with either blocks or jack supporting back of engine.

May give you enough mobility.

Paul

BLOWN38
05-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Anyone know a good way to brace the engine in place with the trans out of the car? I may have to get the car back on the ground and rolling with the trans out if the problem is more than just the clutch disc.

Never had a problem just letting it sit there.

BirdofPrey97
05-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Never had a problem just letting it sit there.

X2. What else do the motor mounts do at this point?:confused:

Mercutio
05-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Just wanted to check. I've seen plenty of cars that, when you remove the transmission, the engine wants to fall forward or back--badly. Like fall out of the car badly.

ricardoa1
05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Just wanted to check. I've seen plenty of cars that, when you remove the transmission, the engine wants to fall forward or back--badly. Like fall out of the car badly.

The engine will move back for sure. But It will be stopped by the firewall. If all of the IC tubes are in place it will have a hard time pivoting.

XxSlowpokexX
05-31-2012, 01:40 PM
another no to the spec clutch. I had a spec 2, pedal was very hard. Tough to drive around every day and especially to launch at the track. I never could get used to it. I liked it at first too though, until I snapped my input shaft with a hard shift into 3rd, and I partially blame it for grenading my transmission when launching at the track, that and wheel hop didn't help.

chris

I did that twice with my Spec

Mercutio
06-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Just thought I'd mention that I discovered a spanner wrench for a Harbor Freight grinder works perfectly as a clutch line disconnect tool. I had to enlarge the spanner's hole with a file slightly, but it worked like a charm.

Mercutio
06-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I think I found the problem.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/featheredmafia/The%20Red%20Car/195.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/featheredmafia/The%20Red%20Car/193.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/featheredmafia/The%20Red%20Car/194.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/featheredmafia/The%20Red%20Car/196.jpg