Clevite Main Bearings

90sc35thann

Has anyone run into this? The thrust bearing won't fint into the main cap properly as the tab is in the incorrect location to fit into the keyway in the main cap. The Clevite catalog indicates that this may be the case on some 3.8 supercharged applications and when this happens they recommend you machine off the tab on the bearing. They claim with one bearing tab intact and due to the fact that it's a press to fit bearing there is no risk in using this procedure. Has anyone actually done this? I thought of machining in a new keyway on the main cap instead???

It's been quite a while, but I seem to remember removing the tab from the bearing.

It all depends on what year the bearings were actually made for vs. what year block you actually have. All E9xx blocks were one style, and F1xx blocks were the later version. They had different notches, the difference was 89/93 vs. 94/95 and they moved the notches for some reason.

Sealed Power bearings match the early model. SP used to make ones that match the late model and sold them under a different part #, but they are not longer available. The only difference was SP removed the offending tab. :rolleyes:

King bearings also match the early blocks.

I haven't used Clevite in awhile so I'm not sure which model block they fit without modification. I believe SP and Clevite are now making their bearings in the same factory so chances are the SP and Clevite are going to be the same.

Back