throttle sticking in 1st and 2nd gear

94351cobra

i just bought a 1993 supercoupe. after driving it i noticed the throttle sticks in first and second gear only when you put the pedal to the floor. it is not the floor mat and i've checked the throttle linkage. nothing seems to click in my mind. please help me. also does anyone know of any recalls in 93.

I just started having this same problem on my '89. How would the motor mounts cause this? Any other ideas of what it may be? Same situation, only in 1st or 2nd, only when WOT, and not the floor mats or throttle linkage.

Check the wiring harness right below the TB linkage.....

With the engine off, open the throttle to WOT and look for anything that can interfere with the linkage.....

The edge of the linkage can come into contact with the wiring harness at WOT.....

I have an 89 5 speed that just started doing this....:(

i had a similar issue after swapping blowers on my 94. turned out the ziptie i had used on my pcv valve was rubbing on the throttle cable.

w/engine off, have someone press the pedal while you confirm that the throttle plate opens completely. See if there is any binding while other pedals pressed/trans in~out of gear etc.

Disconnect the throttle cable and move the plate by hand full range...see if it sticks. Check to see if it moves laterally on the pivot bearings, etc. Disconnect the intake tube and check inside with a light for any signs of sticking/rubbing.

If the plate moves free and the pivot shaft bearings are snug, check the pedal/cable action while still disconnected for free movement, etc.

Try to get your hand on the throttle cable at the back of the engine where it runs along the firewall...is the rubber covering still intact? Is there any polishing of the paint, etc. on the firewall that may indicate wear/binding over the years?

Back