06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Hello,
I have a '96 Bird. My odo & trip odo stopped working
I swapped it out with another from a '94.Still not working
What am I missing? Speedo itself works fine

thanks for the help.

DrFishbone
06-01-2012, 03:14 PM
There are two plastic gears that go bad in nearly every assembly over time. If the speedo is working, that is your problem. It's not easy finding a good used one!

Search: "odometer gear replacement" for places to buy, and there should be a how-to somewhere around too.

the-big-e
06-01-2012, 05:34 PM
If you look around the yards, find one that doesn't have 000.0 on the trip odometer and you are good to go.....:D

Dahoopd
07-25-2012, 08:31 PM
any update on this. I have the same issues, OD gears replaced and the OD still doesnt work. Speedo is working fine. I took another gauge popped it in and still no OD.

RalphP
07-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Double check the wiring to the motor that drives the odometer.

Check the assembly.

Past that, there's not much else.

RwP

DrFishbone
07-26-2012, 08:30 AM
any update on this. I have the same issues, OD gears replaced and the OD still doesnt work. Speedo is working fine. I took another gauge popped it in and still no OD.

There are only three electrical connections to the speedo/odo assembly, and both the speedo and odo are driven off the same signal from the VSS, so there's something wrong with the extra gauge too. Probably the gears are disintegrated. About 4 of 5 gauges are bad by now!

Did you make sure all the little pieces of old gear were cleaned out of the assembly?

Dahoopd
07-26-2012, 07:07 PM
I took the dpeedo apart that had the gears replaced and found the gears were once again broken. I went to SCP to order them and found that they aren't $40 any more when I bought them but now $80. Thats just pure rape.

Dahoopd
07-26-2012, 07:10 PM
and for anyone looking, this site has them for $39 for both gears NOT $80.

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/Odometer_Gears.htm

RalphP
07-26-2012, 07:38 PM
and for anyone looking, this site has them for $39 for both gears NOT $80.

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/Odometer_Gears.htm

$42 for those after 1989.

But *blink* I drive BY there every day almost!

I may stick my head in and see what they sell over the counter for ...

RwP

davec73
07-26-2012, 09:23 PM
I posted a link to the vendor out of la that has them, they told me ford put a lubricant on the gears that makes them brake. You can buy the small gear or both of them from this vendor i think its in the rrstoration section

RalphP
07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
I posted a link to the vendor out of la that has them, they told me ford put a lubricant on the gears that makes them brake. You can buy the small gear or both of them from this vendor i think its in the rrstoration section

That's what I mean - their office is about *does a quick Google Maps* less than 4 miles from my house.

Never THOUGHT about checking there.

*almost slaps head, puts fork and knife down first, THEN slaps head*

RwP

Super Duper Cou
07-26-2012, 11:24 PM
This thread is awesome because my car has had 173,*** miles on it for the past 5000 miles probably! lol :D