Engine Fan Dose Not Turn On

YoungEric

My engine cooling fan in my 95 SC will not turn on weather the air conditioner is on or not. My engine temp stays normal when I'm driving around and the air is moving but when I sit in traffic or just let it idle the temp just continues to increase and the fan never kicks on. I don't know if there is a few common things that cause this to happen or if there is another tread explaining this that I could be directed to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure how much troubleshooting you have done, and I am just suggesting as a start.
1) Have you checked the fuses ?
2) checked the connector on the radiator fan?
3) connect 12V directly to the fan to see if its working?

I have checked the fuses and they all look good. I did look at the plug and it looks to be in good condition as-well. I have not tried hooking it directly to 12 volts. I'm going to give that a try right after work.

Stupid question but, is your AC working? If you have an EEC code scanner, do the tests and see if the fan comes on both speeds, that will tell you if the IRCM is working. My drier is bad, so I cannot charge the AC, so I unplugged the compressor and jumped out the pressure switch to make my low speed fan work...

I have checked the fuses and they all look good. I did look at the plug and it looks to be in good condition as-well. I have not tried hooking it directly to 12 volts. I'm going to give that a try right after work.

Did you actually pull the fuse an look at it? Th 94-95's have a habit of melting one of the legs on the fuse and you will not see it unless you pull the fuse.

The other problem could be that the low speed is no longer working on your fan, but high speed will still work.

Matt

The ECC gets the information from a different spot then the gauge. It is the connection to the front and P-side of the SC. It should have 3 wires going to it. That sensor tells the ecc to kick the fan on or not. If that sensor is toast it won't tell the ecc to turn on.

unplug the Coolant Sensor!

I'd unplug the coolant sensor and see if the fan
comes on...its the one near the oil fill tube. Just a suggestion
cause i had to change that sensor and fan works now.

Tom

You guys should take a picture for the guy and posted it up. A picture is worth a thousand words;) I would do the same but most everything in my engine compartment seems to move to diffrent locations over time:rolleyes:

Ken

A pic

You guys should take a picture for the guy and posted it up. A picture is worth a thousand words;) I would do the same but most everything in my engine compartment seems to move to diffrent locations over time:rolleyes:

Ken

The bronze colored sensor near the fuel lines...

Tom

Last edited:
Back