Need help diagnosing a miss please

BlkBirds

Hey Guys,

So my 89 has developed a miss on #2 and #5 and I am completely 100% baffled. I've never had the balancer off, I just rebuilt the fuel rail, double checked the cam timing sensor, etc. The codes I get are legitimate, thing that aren't hooked up- EGR, canister purge, fuel pump- nothing with any relation to injectors or ignition. The entire drive line has less then 15K on it original, so I have hard time believing anything is burned out. I'm totally at a loss, any help is greatly appreciated.

The car is a 97 LX sport chassis with an 89 5spd with all the bolt on goodies (94 blower, C&L, BBK, 42# green top ford injectors, Magnum inlet, Ken W D/IC, etc.) but the heads have never been off, stock cam, ~~~.

I've done A LOT to marry the chassis to the drive line and suspension, but I had the car running last summer smooth as glass. It ran really fat, but smooth. As some of you know, engine management wiring is pretty self-contained. So I fed it power and grounds and it ran great. Now this...~~~?

Please help fellas, I confused
Kurt

I should also note, I no longer have a shift light to reference and the car WILL NOT start with the cam sensor unplugged. So is it possible the crank sensor is not aligned right? That doesn't make sense, pretty small gap in the sensor. It cranks over and then makes the rump rump noise like way too much advance without the cam sensor in the loop.

Last edited:
Miss

yep, checked wires. The resistance is in the ball park on the wires missing and the one right next to it. The plugs literally have less then 2 hours on them, and all burned fine last summer. Autolite 103's

miss

No sir, had the same result with another coil pack. 1 and 5 share, 2 and 6, then 3 and 4.. or maybe its 2-4 and 3-6. I just double checked it the other day but can't remember at the moment. But thanks for the input

Last edited:
Try another DIS module. It controls the coil pack. I had a similar problem once and the DIS was the fix.
Alan

I bought some more plugs and will likely pull a DIS ignition module off a parts car tomorrow. If I can find some thermal compound in this 1/2 horse town, I will be giving that a try also.
I found a thread from Mike that nicely outlines a test procedure for the DIS module. Thanks for that MIKE!!

Miss solved

After much ado, two of the plugs had just shat the bed. I know there wasn't more then a couple hours run time on them, at the absolute most. The car hasn't been on a street. So there it is, thanks gents for the input and contributing to a great forum.
Kurt

Back