paint questions

I was told 3 gallons 2 color and 1 clear. This is from bare metal/primer on whole car though.

acrylic enamel I think will be pushing it with a gallon this is a big car we put a gallon and a half of black on mine of base coat in the pic below and that was ready to spray so it depends what kinda paint, color and the mixing ratio

thats funny bowez when we painted mine it was the other way we had a gallon of black and 2 gallons of clear but we cleared it then put the flames on it and cleared the whole car again and in the end the black had 7 coats of clear :eek:

PPG or DuPont 1 gallon of enamel will paint a whole car when mixed with reducer and hardener. Acrylic enamel does not require clear if single stage. If base/clear usually two quarts will be enough excluding jambs and trunk/hood area. The color is sprayed to achieve hiding and no more. The clear gives the paint depth and durability. Some colors such as red and yellow will need more paint to achieve hiding. I usually use a white base if spraying reds. One gallon of clear is plenty even if wet sanding and buffing.
Mark

Last edited:
PPG or DuPont 1 gallon of enamel will paint a whole car when mixed with reducer and hardener. Acrylic enamel does not require clear if single stage. If base/clear usually two quarts will be enough excluding jambs and trunk/hood area. The color is sprayed to achieve hiding and no more. The clear gives the paint depth and durability. Some colors such as red and yellow will need more paint to achieve hiding. I usually use a white base if spraying reds. One gallon of clear is plenty even if wet sanding and buffing.
Mark

Thank you. I thought I was correct. I painted a few cars in the past and never needed more than a gallon of color then 1 galling of clear. 3 gallons is a (explicative) load of paint. LOL

Back