Front end noise!

Rezid

I just recently replaced my strut rod bushings. And now im hearing all this clunking and popping going on in the front end while driving. Its fine when driving straight but when I drive on an unleveled street or turning, you hear popping and clunking just below the floor board. You can also feel it on the pedals. I've replaced nearly everything on the front end. What could it be? Its really annoying and not fun driving.

I just recently replaced my strut rod bushings. And now im hearing all this clunking and popping going on in the front end while driving. Its fine when driving straight but when I drive on an unleveled street or turning, you hear popping and clunking just below the floor board. You can also feel it on the pedals. I've replaced nearly everything on the front end. What could it be? Its really annoying and not fun driving.

When you say strut rod bushings, do you mean the bushings on both ends of the strut rod? Does it click/clunk when braking or when going over uneven bumpy roads?

Yes, both sides. replaced strut rod bushings to control arm and to frame. Its sort of like a clicking clunking noise when driving on bumpy roads.

That could be many things. Have you replaced:

1. Sway bar end links?
2. Upper ball joints?
3. Struts (if so, in what condition were the struts plates?)

Also do not rule out having the bolts tight enough. I have seen bolts that were tight enough to stay in but loose enough for the parts to shift a bit and click and clunk.

Replaced all those and strut plates were fine. Gonna double check and see if everythings tight.

Replaced all those and strut plates were fine. Gonna double check and see if everythings tight.

I would check the strut rod nut at the top of the strut plate. I have seen those get loose once the springs settle back down after a strut install.

hows the steering wheel with the car sitting still? should feel tight as you turn it back and forth. Try with the engine running and not. There is a coupler (ujoint) under the dash which can cause a clunk if its not tight.

Also check the subframe bolts. 8 E18 Torx bolts. Notorious for coming loose.

And lastly, unless you used 1st quality parts for the sway bar links, you cant trust them. I tore up a cheap pair in just one weekend at the track. Needless to say, it cured me of using no-name ebay and/or service-grade parts ever again on suspension. The name brand Moog 1 piece lowers are junk as well. I have the single lower ball joint mounted in the original control arms on all my cars now.

I would check the strut rod nut at the top of the strut plate. I have seen those get loose once the springs settle back down after a strut install.
Oh yeah.. actually, the whole thing needs to be replaced. The worn "donut" bushings let the shock post clang against the side. It will drive you nuts trying to figure it out. :confused: Take the ARC actuator off the top, use a socket and extension to get some leverage, and push the top part back and forth. If you can hear it make any clunking noise, there's your problem.

Last edited:
I haven't checked. I believe their the stock ones. Never changed them out. Do those cause noise when bad?

I haven't checked. I believe their the stock ones. Never changed them out. Do those cause noise when bad?

As the rack rattles around? Yes.

Moog sells the K8263 set, which while it's a right royal ~~~~ to install while the car's together, beats what it COULD be.

RwP

As the rack rattles around? Yes.

Moog sells the K8263 set, which while it's a right royal ~~~~ to install while the car's together, beats what it COULD be.

RwP
I havent found a way to replace both w/o pulling the rack. The passenger side isn't a problem, but the driver side is... always is.. one of those jobs that starts with "remove the intercooler tubes". I go as far as removing the whole side of the engine. For me, no big deal.. I have 3 of SCs.. i have plenty of practice :rolleyes: and (most importantly... I have the pulley tool).

If I push the car side to side from the side fender, I can hear the clunking noise, but its hard to pinpoint where its coming from. Its sound like its coming somewhere from the lower engine area but im too far from it to see or hear where its coming from.

I had to replace the inner tie rod links. They are inside the steering rack assembly. Check it at the boots for the rack and see if there is end play in the rod where it goes thru the boot. I've got two more rack assemblies in my basement and they both have a loose rod on one side or the other. Replacing them made a world of difference in handling and steering. The wheel stopped twitching on turns and no more noises.

it kind if sounds like rack bushings. your best bet is to have someone push it from side to side while you hold your hand on the rack bushings. How about inner tie rods? Before you go loopy replacing rack bushings are you sure those aren't the culprit? Maybe outers too? If those are new I would say rack bushings would be a good next bet. Again best way it to isolate the noise. Put your hands on the front end parts while someone pushes from side to side then you'll know for sure.

Everything under there is new or has recently been replaced, all suspension. Gonna have a buddy help me and check it out, pinpoint the noise and see if it is the rack bushings. Thanks guys.

Back