HVAC vent selection does not work

Lycaon1349

dont think ive posted about this yet, but my vent selection on the temp control panel doesnt work, air only comes out of the defrost vents as a default, i know these cars are vacuum controlled right?? is there any common place for a break to be causing the selector to be inactive? also whats the easiest way to take the temp control panel out without destroying it? i tried to do it a while back to check for vacuum leaks right at the controls but it seemed so fragile that i didnt want to mess with it too much

Its just a hose that goes to the vac accuator under there. Sometimes a person will hit it with the tip of their toes and disconnect it or break the end off of the line.

Otherwise the connection is behind the radio area and requires removing parts to get to the connections.

I will try to get out to mine and snap a picture around lunch time. Its 10 here now.

sounds good man, thatll put me around 1pm here, ill be off my lunch by then. Thanks for the help
010803thumb.gif

I was able to get it at break.

This is on my 89. The 97 was a bit different, but same idea.

Attachments

• IMG_1734.jpg
    IMG_1734.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 111
nice, thanks man, so basically id be able to either check for bad connection/breakage there. or what use a vac hand pump/gauge to check each line and see where the leak is coming from?

ooooookay... so i finally got around to opening it up and checking the connection... no break. so i drove down to my old job to borrow a vacuum hand pump. no vac on the white and black, full vac held on the red and blue. my guess is blue and red are the canisters for the blend doors, what are the white and black? one must be vac in( im guessing black) unsure what white is unless its a mixer between floor and defrost. anyway, before i tear apart the dash(as when i first got the car the heater box was completely jam packed with mouse bedding and feces so my guess is that the white or black lines have been chewed through somehwere in there... i sure hope not) does anyone have any guesses as to where my problem is farther up the lines???? HELLLLLP:confused::confused::confused:

ooooookay... so i finally got around to opening it up and checking the connection... no break. so i drove down to my old job to borrow a vacuum hand pump. no vac on the white and black, full vac held on the red and blue. my guess is blue and red are the canisters for the blend doors, what are the white and black? one must be vac in( im guessing black) unsure what white is unless its a mixer between floor and defrost. anyway, before i tear apart the dash(as when i first got the car the heater box was completely jam packed with mouse bedding and feces so my guess is that the white or black lines have been chewed through somehwere in there... i sure hope not) does anyone have any guesses as to where my problem is farther up the lines???? HELLLLLP:confused::confused::confused:

I dealed with this not too long ago. Check for a yellow vac line directly behind the center of the dash. I was able to get my hand up through the center on the driver side to take a peak. Make sure it's still plugged in.

Here is a link I found over at TCCOA, there are others if you fish around.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=65657&highlight=yellow+vac+line+defrost+only

Also, check the grey vac line just inside the engine bay by the firewall, it's directed into the car where the AC lines are.

vacuummotor.jpg

Last edited:
finally got around to checking again and found the source of my problem:

2013-01-13_20-59-02_160.jpg

the dash is half apart and im ready to dig in there and replace the vac line, and while im in there im gonna throw in a new heater core and a/c evaporator for when i retrofit the a/c system. hopefully the car will be ready to rock for the summer, its been a long time since ive had a car with A/C. my jeep used to have it but i dismantled the system to make way for an idler since im supercharging it when the 5 speed goes in.... but enough about that. i found the leak!! WOOOO!!! :cool:

thought you guys might like to see this:

2013-02-13_21-49-06_110_zps26da122e.jpg

i had read that people had problems with this foam/rubber firewall seal at the heater core lines. DONT BEND THEM, i was able to get the seal back over the lines of the new heater core without bending them by putting the seal in the engine compartment of my jeep and by letting it warm up i was able to stretch it over the lines without a fuss. just get the seal nice and warm and itll be much more plyable than at room temp
010803thumb.gif

Back