decent oil leakage?

Lycaon1349

sooooo my car is leaking a decent ammount of oil, not sure where its coming from because it all seems to be coming down the cross member and then ending up on my driveway, is there a common spot for the sc engines to leak from? pan gasket, oil sensor plug, etc? or am i stuck pulling my motor to find it?

sooooo my car is leaking a decent ammount of oil, not sure where its coming from because it all seems to be coming down the cross member and then ending up on my driveway, is there a common spot for the sc engines to leak from? pan gasket, oil sensor plug, etc? or am i stuck pulling my motor to find it?

Oil pressure switch for sure. I would start there.

Over time, collapsed motor mounts will cause the power steering hose to rub a hole in the oil pan. A leaking oil pressure sender is much more common.

David

so is it the sender itself that'd be leaking? i.e. replace the oil sensor? my data display does say OIL LOW even RIGHT AFTER doing an oil change. where is it accessed from?

I once had the motor mounts fail and then drop the oil filter onto the x member. oil everywhere.

Sean

so is it the sender itself that'd be leaking? i.e. replace the oil sensor? my data display does say OIL LOW even RIGHT AFTER doing an oil change. where is it accessed from?

You are going to have to jack the car up and get under there with a flashlight to be certain about where it's leaking from.

David

If it helps the cut in my pan from the rear was about 1.5" inside the c/member.

Looked like a shiny grove and was motor mount related.

Paul

What does the dipstick say? Don't rely on the low oil light.

If the oil is leaking out nearly as fast as you put it in, then likely you have a hole in your oil pan.

so... new found experience related to this. after gettting the car back together i had a little bit of drippage over the 2 months the car was off the road. so before i ran it i topped it off, turned it on, pulled out of the garage and spun it around so it was nose first in the garage while i ran it to burp the cooling system. so after about an hour of running idle in the garage i shut the car off and closed up shop. next day i pulled the car out and there was a good 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart on my garage floor, maybe even a little more. however i left it alone and didnt top off again. about a week later after a few more drips here and there, the stick was only slightly below what it read after i found the big puddle, so my guess on this is that since its not pouring out all the time, my leak is coming from higher up on the pan, like where the sensor is? and once it gets below that line, the light dripping is just residual oil from the xmember dropping down? does this logic make sense? and is it just a seal like grommet style thats leaking or is it bad threads? what does this thing look like when its installed? threads in pan, then grommet, then sensor?

Last edited:
About the only way ive been able find a slow oil leak is to clean everything up really good, with purple power, and then start the engine and let it run for a bit, then inspect for leaks.

Back