headlights

paul90

Does anyone elese have the problem with their healights going off? Ill be driving down the road and they just go off. When I shut off the switch and pull it back on they come back on. Ive replaced the delay fuse and they still go off.....any suggestons?

Hi, Paul.

Have you been using your foglights at the same time? It has become a problem over the years that the system can't handle the load of the fogs and it overheats the headlight switch. My 35th did this a month after I bought it. I removed the headlight switch and the brass runners were darkened indicating the internal relay was worn or failing. A common solution is to put a relay system on the fogs and use the original switch to just trigger the relay. I did that with method in this link, http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/RewireFogs.htm . I haven't had any problems with using the fogs since. This might be a possible problem you are having. Hope this helps some.

Had this problem recently too. Mechanic suggested the ground, which I was going to play with, but the weather was getting bad so I just replaced the switch instead. Lights are now working and also brighter. A GOOD bit brighter. Maybe it was the ground connection too, I don't know. I sprayed some contact cleaner there and also in the connectors on the plug at the switch. The switch was really easy to do, BTW. I figure it it's something besides the swith, it'll go out again. It's only $10 anyway. My contacts weren't really blackened, just a little bit on one of them. Still, did the trick.

yup

Had it happen to me to, damn things just shut off, and then come back on. It was the switch, had it replaced, never had problem again. but this was on my 1990 t bird N/A, i would think it be related--!
good luck-
Damon

I bought the headlight wireharness package from Competition Limited... not only did it get rid of the on-off flicker, but it made my lights about 40% brighter as well. Soon after I installed aftermarket fog lights (factories were burned up and looked like **** anyways) and I would notice that they would still turn on and off after a bit of driving! I didn't bother to rewire them, because, I will be honest, I suck at that ****!

Additional reading from the FAQ Section:

Why do my headlights flicker?

This problem is quite common on stock SCs. There was even an old recall on certain models to replace the dash headlight switch. If you do replace the switch, look closely at the connector at the back of the switch that holds all the wires. It will sometimes be burned and need replacement (from Ford) as well.

Wiring up the relays is the only real long term solution to the problem.

Hi, George.

I have considered getting the Competition Limited wiring setup and it's interesting that Aaron said the lights were actually brighter. Even just stock setup I guess this helps? I have also thought about brighter bulbs but am afraid of harming the housings from the heat. Do you think the housings are able to handle quite a bit more wattage? My main concern was the fog housings and higher wattages. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

I have the Competition wiring harness on my 89 with the 96-97 lights. I went through two dash headlight switches over the years before the upgrade.

The kit certainly allows full voltage to flow to the lights which could cause them to be at the correct brightness! I also the the Catz XLDs lights in place of the stockers and they draw a lot more current than the stock foglamps. The headlight switch would never run those lights.

I believe I went with about a 20w higher bulb in the 96-97 housing. I do notice it has turned the metal cone covering it a little blue, but then I also noticed that stock lights do that as well.

I'm sure others have upgraded their bulbs in the early style headlights as well. I'm just not familiar with which wattages they chose. There was a recent post on a bigger bulb for the stock foglamps, but I don't recall what was used. If you want a higher wattage light and want to retain the stock look, many people use the PIAA 1500 lights for the stockers.

Back