PDA

View Full Version : New member, need help with car

theGTkid
06-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Hi, this is my first post on the site
Well the story of my coupe goes as follows
In 1991 a nice pristine condition Mercury Cougar XR7 rolled off the line and into the dealership
Someone bought it and had their fair share of times, they decided it was time for some new car and sold this beaut to my uncle
Brad: Well brad drove the car like it was nobodyís business for quite some time, almost 12 years then he started having troubles, he then didnít want the car anymore and needed some youngster like myself to take control of this baby and make her right, I was ready to step up to the task. I was excited when my dad said I could have it for FREE! But all went bad in October of 2010
Brent: this jack wagon of an ~~~~~~~ uncle went and stole what was supposed to be mine right from under my feet, he drove it for a year, beat the hell out of it and one day, she just couldnít handle him anymore. Since that day this gorgeous lady sat down in his drive way, ever since the beginning of 2011 she just turns over and fires, starts for just a hopeful second then she gives up on herself
ME!: Well this youngster here mentioned in the Brad portion of this post was just told the other day June 11th that he can have the car, but he has to fix it
just one day later June 12th, if you will, he was tossed some mighty fine looking keys and he was just oh so excited, but some ~~~~~~~ uncle had to come ruin the day by saying, "Well, I donít know if I want to get rid of it yet, but hereís the title so you can see it, it wonít go anywhere, but after you fix it will give it to you, Iíd just like to drive it again"
Well ~~~ is that? That sounds like a great way to screw me out of a car and money!
Anyways, I just figured I would allow you all to enjoy my story
About the car:
I will name her Mercy Mercury, she is a red cougar, black leather interior the paint is fading and chipping away but the bottom half of the car looks great beside the 1" rust line on the bottom of the car, but hey, you canít be a chooser about what you get
She is all 3.8l of supercharged fury with a 5speed ready to translate engine power to wheels turning on the ground
It smells like a dead rat inside and there may be a little bit of rat turds and pee in there, but Oasis car wash detailer service will handle that
I am just so excited to own this run down beauty, the word in the family is that she has a rusted out bottom, but we will cross that bridge at a later time, I just want it to run first, then maybe do some bottom end work, and after that slap a nice new shiny red paintjob on it
Thank you all for reading!

kylecoz88
06-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Only 1989 and 1990 Cougar XR7's were supercharged. Must have been a typo, or you have been misinformed about the car. Good luck with the resto. Keep us up to date.

Kyle

theGTkid
06-14-2012, 11:34 PM
well thats on behalf on my uncle brent
he told me its a 91
its a 90
told you, hes a jackwagon

Silenced
06-15-2012, 09:39 AM
I really don't mean to dishearten you, but your uncle sounds very shady, and with these cars a dime a dozen, it really doesn't make sense putting elbow-grease into one that you *Might* get, and *Will* have to spend more on than the value of the vehicle just to fix the rust.

It's great that you're enthusiastic about it... These are neat cars... but I wouldn't even touch it unless your name is on the title. Even then, you could probably finnd one around you without so much rust if you looked hard enough.

Good luck!

DrFishbone
06-15-2012, 02:26 PM
I really don't mean to dishearten you, but your uncle sounds very shady, and with these cars a dime a dozen, it really doesn't make sense putting elbow-grease into one that you *Might* get, and *Will* have to spend more on than the value of the vehicle just to fix the rust.

It's great that you're enthusiastic about it... These are neat cars... but I wouldn't even touch it unless your name is on the title. Even then, you could probably finnd one around you without so much rust if you looked hard enough.

Good luck!

^Good advice!

If you can get the car for free first, THEN fix it up some...maybe a different story though. Finding one that is at least solid, no rust would be my recommendation if you think you'll be in it for the long haul.

theGTkid
06-15-2012, 03:54 PM
yeah its free, and im not too worried about replacing rocker panels and floor panels
ill take care of that when it really needs it
first off i want to get the car running
put a red top battery in it
change all the fluids to full synthetic
new air filter
new fuel filter
thats my checklist before i really start to drive it real good
tires will be needed soon as well

StilwellSC
06-17-2012, 01:39 PM
The first thing I would check with the starting conditions you are describing is the ignition switch. One of my SC's had similar problems last week that was due to a bad ignition switch. They cost $10 to $20 depending on which one you buy and are not that difficult to replace if you have the correct torx security bit. The bit I use has "CR VT-27" stamped on it. I purchased a set of driver bits at Advance Auto Parts for about $8 with the correct bit included. Ignition switch problems are common on these cars.

nmcbchief
06-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Good luck!

I didn't know these cars were a dime a dozen? My dime is ready so when can I come pick your car up?

theGTkid
06-17-2012, 06:10 PM
The first thing I would check with the starting conditions you are describing is the ignition switch. One of my SC's had similar problems last week that was due to a bad ignition switch. They cost $10 to $20 depending on which one you buy and are not that difficult to replace if you have the correct torx security bit. The bit I use has "CR VT-27" stamped on it. I purchased a set of driver bits at Advance Auto Parts for about $8 with the correct bit included. Ignition switch problems are common on these cars.

ignition switch on mine is on recall, for free i can take it to ford dealership and have them fix it! First thing I did was look for recalls..
on a side note:
Happy Father's Day
Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the race today, I was there for a majority of the time, from the rain out, to lap 120 or so....
It was a great performance!

Silenced
06-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I didn't know these cars were a dime a dozen? My dime is ready so when can I come pick your car up?

Just in case you got lost...

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70

nmcbchief
06-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Just in case you got lost...

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70

I don't see any there for a dime!

renello79
06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Don't invest money til you transfer the title.

mellbutler
06-25-2012, 04:45 AM
I'm not sure but recalls may have an expiration:confused:

kpoindex08
08-13-2012, 01:43 AM
This is a question I would like to know the answer to as well.