1/4 mile times

vaprobe87

Right now I have a 89 SC 5-speed with 2:73 gears. Besides a CAI it is all stock.

What should it run in the 1/4 right now as it sits, and what would it take to get it around mid to high 13s?

Right now I have a 89 SC 5-speed with 2:73 gears. Besides a CAI it is all stock.

What should it run in the 1/4 right now as it sits, and what would it take to get it around mid to high 13s?

you should run somewhere in the mid 15's with the weather right now. with some colder weather probably bottom 15's. I was running 16.1 with my stock 93 sc with a 3% overdrive pulley with an automatic transmission in the summer.

there are so many ways to get more power. spend your money on what WORKS. a double intercooler with a fan works by lowering your intake temperatures allowing you to run more ignition timing.
a TUNE works. these cars run very rich from the factory, iirc the ecu commands 10.xx AFR at WOT. lean it out to 11.6. you'll need a wideband to monitor your AFR.
kevin leitem has proven that freeing up the intake side of the supercharger can make substantial gains with an mpx. about 5 psi increase from what he wrote. a bigger throttle body and intake piping can raise boost without using a smaller pulley. don't quote me on that with the early style blowers though. those things are giant paper weights anyways.

drag radials will help with launching the car, that alone can be a big factor in trying to get mid 13's. nitto555R's worked for me when I was running 12's with my 94/95 style blower. make sure your suspension bushings are still there. with how old these cars are your suspension is probably shot which can cause wheel hop when launching. wheel hop breaks things like axles, gears, u-joints, etc..

you could go the easy route to get 13's and add a 75 shot of nitrous. tap into the return plenum from your intercooler.

it doesn't take much looking back on it. you could get a 94/95 blower with an MP plenum, bigger throttle body, double intercooler, 42lb injectors, and a pulley and run high 13's...oh before I forget. ditch the catalytic converters and y-pipe. I don't have a before and after comparison but just looking at the 90 degree angle of the catalytic converters tells me that they are a big restriction. there is a company that makes a complete exhaust system for supercoupes and they're pretty cheap. around 300-400 bucks iirc. they're based in miami I think its mandrelexhaustsystems or something similar. there is also supercoupeperformance.com where you can get almost everything for these cars...

hope I helped.

I bet if you installed a double intercooler with a puller fan, headers, dual 2 1/2" exhaust, 10% od jackshaft pulley, and some drag radials. I think you could break into the high 13's.

I bet if you installed a double intercooler with a puller fan, headers, dual 2 1/2" exhaust, 10% od jackshaft pulley, and some drag radials. I think you could break into the high 13's.

Im running headers, dual 2 1/2" exhaust, 10% OD SC pulley, 3" CAI, selfported heads and lowered comp ratio, 60lb injectors, QH and a simple tune, witout cats on 98 octane fuel (have 98 on fuel pumps here in sweden) Did a 14.47 run @ 98 MPH on Binary editor on bad street tires. Maybe the drag radials and something more will get me into the 13´s

Last edited:
Im running headers, dual 2 1/2" exhaust, 10% OD SC pulley, 3" CAI, selfported heads and lowered comp ratio, 60lb injectors, QH and a simple tune, witout cats on 98 octane fuel (have 98 on fuel pumps here in sweden) Did a 14.47 run @ 98 MPH on Binary editor on bad street tires. Maybe the drag radials and something more will get me into the 13´s

With an automatic I could run a 14.2 @ 95mph in my super coupe on drag radials. A 13.9 could be possible with a 98mph trap speed if you had some drag radials. You make the most time up in the first 60 feet. These cars make a lot of low end torque and if you can put all that torque down to the ground through first gear, you're gonna haul ~~~. lol

im thinking my 89 5 spd 273 gears pretty much stock with k and n ran about 15.72 , 90 auto with 308 runs around 15.3

Back