T5 Manual Transmission Swap?

Toms-SC

Hey team,

I'm taking a look at other feasible options for manual transmission swaps and the T5 has crossed my radar. Yes, I've searched! I'm looking for something pain free, I do understand that the T56 is the new 'hot stuff' but it appears to require a fair amount of work to make fit and gather the necessary parts. Mostly, the time aspect.

I would not buy a stock T-5 unit. I'm looking at the Astro A-5 unit. They appear to have a good reputation amongst the Mustang crew.

I suppose my question is A) Will it physically fit with a car that originally an AOD? B) What parts are required roughly? C) Has anybody else made this swap?

I'd be going into a car which will not have the low down torque of the roots/twinscrew so I think that may work to my advantage.

Why not a m5r2?

Probably cause the parts for the M5R2 are getting hard to find. Some one needs to come up with a retro fit kit for trans that are more available. Kinda like the kit I bought to swap my jag engine out, and put in a LT1 chevy engine. Anyone that comes up with a kit for easy swap for our 5 speeds will make a lot of money.

Anything will fit with enough money. But the shifter would be near the dash. They use a cable clutch. Plus many people say the m5r2 is way better, which I agree. If you ever raced a performance clutch in a mustang?

I put one in my 91 when I did the engine in it. Needed a shorter drive shaft, or was it longer?? Hm, forgot already. But, that was the worse part....other than having the auto brake pedal still, which makes it real tight with my foot.:rolleyes: Oh, and the speedo was off, and I had to screw around with different gears on the sending unit to get it right.

Back